42. Betrayal

It was the last day of spring break. I set out to find Danny. It didn't take long. He was leaning against a tree trunk, his eyes pained.

"We need to talk." He whispered.

"Of course." I frowned, trying to understand what could be wrong.

"There's something you don't know about me. Something I should have told you. It's been eating away at me and I have to come clean."

"Tell me. I won't judge you."

"Oh I doubt that..." Danny sighed.

"Danny... Please...?"

"Well first... My name is actually Daniel."

"Nice..." I murmured.

"Second... I... I'm part of the Volturi." Silence.

The Volturi. Of all things. I had not expected that.

The Volturi... They wanted Bella. They wanted Alice.

They wanted me.

They couldn't tear our family. They knew that. So they had sent someone... To watch us. See our weaknesses. To make me fall in love.

And I fell for it.

"Oh God..." I whispered. My hand was covering my mouth but I didn't remember ever moving it.

"Shannon, I'm sorry..." Daniel whispered. His eyes were tortured. I couldn't move. But I had to.

I had to move.

"Shannon... Baby..." He took a step towards me. I stepped backwards. The tears were flowing now. 

"Don't..." I murmured. Daniel's arms opened as if to hug me. I pushed him back and fled.

I ran as fast as I could. He was faster than me. He could have out ran me. He could have stopped me.

But he didn't.