15. Vision

To say we were on a picnic would have been the wrong term. And I didn't think there was such a thing as a vampire picnic.

We were in the clearing. Esme was lying on a picnic blanket next to a basket. She was lying across Carlisle's chest. Rose and Alice were playing hairdressers with Shannon and Renesmee. Edward and Bella were going over a couple of magazines. Emmett, Tomy and Jacob were playing baseball. I was reading a book.

It was a rather sunny day for Forks. In a few days time, we would be heading off to our separate journeys. Bella had plans to see Charlie before we left. I needed to start planning what I was taking with me to Texas.

I closed my book, laid back on the blanket and closed my eyes.

"Do you want to have a drink, Jazz?" Esme's voice rang out. By 'drink' she meant animal blood.

"No thanks Mom." The sun broke out from behind a cloud and I could see the sparkles of my family's skins behind my eyelids.

I wouldn't sleep but it was relaxing to close my eyes for a while...

Suddenly there came a gasp from where the girls had been sitting.

I sat up, alert in an instant. Everyone else was looking over at Alice. Her eyes were glassy as she looked into the possible future.

I was beside her in a split second, pulling her onto her feet and shaking her small body.

"Alice!" She continued to look like she had just witnessed a death.

"Edward... What is she seeing?" Bella asked, clutching his shirt.

"Alice." I touched her face lightly. Her eyes partially focused on me.

"They want us. They'll pretend they are checking on Renesmee but they'll actually just be seeing Shannon and Tomy for themselves."

"Who?" Carlisle asked but we all knew.

"The Volturi." Edward whispered.

"Aro, Caius, Marcus, Jane, Alec, Felix, Demetri and a few members of the guard." Alice explained.

"Who are they after, Alice?" I asked. 

"Bella... Me... And Shannon..." She replied.

"No." I hissed.

"What about Tomy?" Rose asked.

"Maybe. They haven't seen the full extent of what he can do."

"Shannon. Here. Now." I ordered. Shannon walked over to me. I took her in my arms, protective. I then wrapped my free arm around Alice's waist. 

"No one is going to hurt my family." I growled quietly.

"They won't hurt us... Not physically..." Alice mumbled.

No one replied. The Volturi were forever trying to tear our family apart. The question was whether or not our family could fight again. Fight and be strong. Fight and win.

Almost impossible.