27. Virginia

The house had been decorated while we had been in Texas. Each room had a colour scheme or a theme. The living room was red and white. The kitchen was black, white and silver. The Games Room was London themed. Carlisle and Esme's room was pastels of pink and blue. Aunt Rose and Uncle Emmett's room was pink and black. Aunt Bella and Uncle Edward's room was beach themed. Renesmee would be sharing a room with me. Our room was faraway places. We had Paris, Italy, London, New York themes. Jacob's room was forest or woodland themed. Technically it was Tomy's room too.

Only one bathroom upstairs and down. One was underwater themed and the other was aquarium.

Aunt Rose and Aunt Alice was delighted when Esme transformed the dining room into a make up room. The kitchen was big enough for a dining space too.

We were to stay in Virginia. We lived in a quiet village. Our house was one of the biggest ones, just on the outskirts of the village.

There was a local high school. Carlisle got us enrolled at the school. Tomy and I were in the same grade. Bottom one.

"Technically, you shouldn't be even in high school yet. You're only fourteen. But we want you to stay with the others in the same school." Carlisle told me.

"I don't know if I'm ready yet..." I said, anxiously. Carlisle cupped my face in his hands.

"You're ready."

So it was Monday and we were given a map of the high school and a timetable. I was relieved to know that Tomy was in every class with me.

"We can get lost together." He joked.

First lesson was English. The teacher didn't introduce us, he just sent us to our seats.

The whole time, nobody looked at us. Sometimes I couldn't help but wonder if they knew what we were.

Calculus was the same. No introduction and every student steered clear of us.

History was my favourite subject. It was just before lunch. The teacher Mr Jones didn't say an introduction so we again went straight to seats.

I loved to learn. Henry VIII was a very interesting topic. I focused more on my history class than calculus. Tomy seemed slightly bored at it though. He wasn't like the other male students, throwing paper planes. But he kept doodling on a scrap of paper.

When the bell went, we all walked out to the cafeteria. Tomy almost ran when he saw the other Cullens waiting at one of the tables.

I was just about to step into the cafeteria when someone grabbed my arm, pulling me back. I was pinned against a wall by several boys. I recognized some of them from my classes.

"You're the new girl..." A blonde, spiky haired boy said. I avoided looking at his eyes.

"One of them..." I murmured.

"What's your name, baby?" I shuddered at that.

"Shannon, isn't it?"

"Sit next to us, Shannon." A black haired boy added.

"Thanks for the offer but we're such a big family that there simply just isn't enough room for all of us to fit round one table." The group of boys turned around to see Uncle Emmett (who had spoken), Uncle Edward and Jasper.

"She's related to you?" Blonde spikes squeaked. I could see him eye Uncle Emmett's muscles.

"Yep. Now get AWAY from my niece." Jasper growled. The boys parted and Uncle Edward grabbed my arm and pulled me to him.

The four of us walked into the cafeteria and sat down with the others.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, shaking slightly.

"What did he say?" Jasper asked, pulling me onto his lap.

"He... He..."

"He called her baby." Edward said, scowling.

"Oh..." Tomy looked stunned into silence.

"What?" Aunt Rose asked.

"Jason used to call her that... As he..." Tomy trailed off as I winced. Jasper held me tighter.

"I won't let anyone hurt you." He promised.

"Well that's two of us now." Jacob said, planting a tray of food onto the table.

"What do you mean?" Edward growled.

"They corner Nessie while I was at the bathroom." He replied.

"It's true." Nessie placed another tray on the table.

"At least everyone knows to keep their distance." Uncle Emmett said.

"Do you want some food?" Jasper whispered in my ear. I shook my head.

"Okay. We need a story. Something to protect our backs." Alice said.

"Old story of how Esme adopted us." Aunt Rose said, gesturing to her, Uncle Emmett, Alice, Jasper, Aunt Bella and Uncle Edward.

"Renesmee's my niece, adopted after my brother died." Edward said.

"Shannon and Tomy are twins, given to Carlisle of full time custody when his first wife died in a car crash." Jasper added.

"Esme is going to love that one..." Alice smiled.

"And Jacob is my long lost cousin." Uncle Emmett put in, smirking at him.

"We moved here for a fresh start." Alice finished.

"Sounds good." We all agreed.