19. Aro

We saw them approach. Caius, Marcus and Aro were in the center. The others were either in front or at the back of them.

"Protected from all sides." Carlisle murmured.

"I know..." Edward sighed softly.

"But so are we." Bella whispered, eyeing the trees. My sharp eyes caught sight of the shadows hidden here and there between the trees.

The Volturi stopped about fifteen paces away from us. Then Aro stepped forward ahead of his guard.

"Carlisle. It has been seven years." He said. His voice was whisper-like but we all heard him.

"Yes Aro. I'm hoping you are not here to accuse us of doing wrong once again." Carlisle's face was like stone but anger flickered in his eyes.

"Oh no, dear Carlisle!" Aro chuckled lightly. "Just a duty call."

"Then you shall leave?" Carlisle asked.

"Yes but first... Edward?" Aro's greedy eyes were on my wife. They then flickered to Edward. Edward walked up to Aro and held out his hand. Aro took it and bent his head over their hands.

Jane and Caius were watching Shannon. Felix looked at all of us with a smug expression. Marcus was looking at Renesmee with the same bored expression we knew so well. Demetri was watching Edward and so was Alec. The rest of the guard had their hoods up, making it impossible to see who they were watching.

"That is NOT Renesmee." Edward said, snatching back his hand. Aro looked startled.

"Just curiosity, friend Edward." Edward looked like he was biting his tongue. Knowing him, he probably was. He nodded curtly instead.

I looked at Aro to see he was staring back at me. His eyes bored into mine. I held his gaze. I would NOT let him think that I was weak.

"Master." A hooded figure whispered. Aro smiled and shook his head.

"Careful now, friend." Edward hissed in response.

"Edward." Carlisle cautioned. I noticed Felix and Demetri step forward. I did too. It was an automatic thing to protect my brother. Alice put her hand on my upper arm and Shannon had my wrist.

I looked over to see Emmett. he had moved forward at the exact same time I had. Sam and Jacob were growling quietly. Bella moved forward and pulled Edward back. He shook off her hand but moved backwards, pushing Emmett back to stand beside Rose. He looked at Alice and nodded. She pulled me back to her side.

Aro was looking at Shannon now.

"Alice... You seem central to this particular story. May I?" He held out his hand.

"Actually, Jasper is more central to the story. As you surely know." Edward said. He was glaring at Aro. Aro smiled at Edward then nodded.

"Jasper?" He looked at me. I looked towards Edward. He nodded his encouragement so I walked over to Aro. I hated leaving Alice and Shannon behind me. They were targets now.

Aro held out his hand and I took it. Now everything was his.

It was weird. This new feeling. Memories being pulled out of my head. I could see each one as he viewed them. The first time I met Alice, the first time we made love, last night, our wedding. I could hear Edward growl as my privacy was invaded.

That growl made Aro focus. He pulled out the murky memories of my human life. He then moved to the clear memories of Maria, of the fights.

I started to get bored by this point. I let Aro view my past going up to the moments when I met Shannon. He was being quick now.