49. Vow

Tomy and I set off. It wasn't long until we caught the scents. We followed it until we saw them. Daniel folded me into his arms immediately.

"How long do we have?" Lavender asked. She was in Tomy's arms.

"Five minutes tops." I replied.

"Let's do this then." Daniel looked slightly nervous as he let me go.

I held out my hand and Daniel took it. Our fingers interlinked.

Tomy fished red ribbon from his pocket and advanced on us.

"Is this going to hurt?" Daniel asked me.

"A burning sensation should be all. But you have to let me focus." I told him.

"Ready?" Tomy checked. I nodded. Tomy started to wrap the ribbon around my arm. I waited until he had tucked the end in so it wouldn't come loose. I then nodded at him. "Daniel, can you remain faithful to Shannon, protecting her for eternity?" My eyes followed the wrapping of the ribbon. I focused on the colours of the rainbow with all my mind.

Suddenly the red ribbon split itself into seven colours. The red stayed at the top but the rest started to bleach itself rainbow colours.

"I will." The colours glimmered faintly.

"Shannon, can you remain faithful and protect Daniel?" Tomy continued.

"I will." I vowed. The colours glimmered brighter. Now half of the ribbon was rainbow.

Tomy tucked the other end of the ribbon at Daniel's end.

"Through eternity, you must love each other, protect each other and remain faithful. True love never dies." Tomy moved his hand as the rainbow touched Daniel's end.

The colours shone so brightly, we had to look away. Suddenly the ribbon snapped and Daniel and I fell to the floor.

The ribbon tightened on my arm. I gasped at the burning pain.

The burning faded and the brightness did too. I looked down at my arm to see that the ribbon was gone but the colours remained. Burnt forever into my skin. I sat up to see Danny examining his arm.

"Holy crow..." Danny murmured. He looked over at me. "It worked."