Chapter 78: Thank You For Everything Being As Expected

"Cough..."

She coughed up blood when she regained consciousness.

Despite trying to move, her fallen body only trembled, showing no sign of getting up.

It was an inevitable outcome. No matter how much she braced herself for death for her mission, she had always avoided dangers targeting her through her power to foresee the future.

Even if she was prepared to endure pain, her body being instinctively paralyzed by that pain was not something that could be controlled by will alone.

"Is it over already?"

Step by step, the frenzied demon entered the collapsed building.

Even at this moment, in those gleaming eyes, there was no trace of mercy towards her.

"Try resisting a bit more. Ending it like this after confidently picking a fight is just too boring!"

"Keuk!"

When she needed to spit out the rising blood in her airway, the demon grasped her.

Her body convulsed in agony, but that wasn't enough to escape the demon's power.

Even being a demi-god, apart from her prophetic ability, she was merely human, and the demon, though weak, awakened her power according to desire.

As there was a great inherent difference, a direct contest of strength would essentially determine the winner.

'No, not yet... The opponent is being careless.'

Yet, Airi did not give up.

All demons were arrogant, and hence, they tended to be complacent against those they perceived as weaker.

As a race that found pleasure in mocking and trampling such beings, there was no immediate danger of being killed.

'Just a little longer, if I can stall...'

Airi barely moved her eyes while being gripped by the neck.

The crystal ball rolling nearby had been losing its light since it fell from her hand.

It wasn't that the power had vanished.

Rather, the power being emitted outward was being redirected inward, preparing to activate a mechanism set up earlier.

"So now what to do? If I kill you like this, Hyo-sung will be sad..."

She needed to buy time until that device was activated and take advantage of the opponent's carelessness.

"...You just give up on Hyo-sung."

To her, who believed she must endure anything for this.

The demon, believing herself to be in a superior position, began to speak in a whisper, lifting her neck.

"Give up..."

"Because in the end, you can't make Hyo-sung happy."

She could break her neck at any time.

Yet, Merilyn loosened the grip on her throat, even managing to relax the constriction.

"As a fortune teller, you must have realized long ago that there's no hope in this world. So why do you keep watching him walk into danger?"

After all, to this being, there was no longer any chance of defeating her.

Since she already knew her prophecy didn't work on her, she was confident she could fend her off if she attacked again.