Chapter 11: If You Don't Answer, Will You Do It?

Many often overlook the story, but prosperous cities don't just attract the wealthy.

In fact, those who are lacking are more likely to be drawn to affluent areas, hoping to make a life for themselves there.

This was clearly the case in Seoul, the capital of South Korea, where I lived; even the high demand for cramped attics and closets evidenced it.

No matter how little one possesses, simply being in such a city allows access to its infrastructure, markets, and job opportunities, even without a fortune.

Thus, the slums on the outskirts of the empire became a bustling hub for those drawn by such prospects.

As these places attracted people, rules, and morals diminished, and due to poor governance, no forces like guards were deployed to maintain order.

In other words, this area was essentially lawless, with only remnants of civilization.

In some respects, it might even be considered more fraught with evil than the lands overrun by demon armies.

"It's starting to rain."

Was it a sign that I shouldn't take Vivian to such a place?

Despite it being broad daylight, dark clouds gathered, and the cold rain began soaking through the hood I was wearing.

Fortunately, I had prepared sturdy, waterproof materials for our long journey, but only I reaped the benefits.

Vivian, having been rushed to leave, had only her usual home pajamas on.

"Are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine."

Despite her claim, Vivian hugged herself, pretending to be unaffected.

Her wet clothes, clinging to her skin, must have chilled her, but her shivers were likely not solely from the cold.

"If it's to see my mother, I can endure this. The housekeeper said that I have to do this to meet her again..."

Mother.

For some reason, she had begun research with the Mage Tower's support.

I had brought her here to help her reclaim what she cherished so much.

If I hadn't provided a satisfactory answer back then, my life might have been in jeopardy.

"Here, wear this."

But aside from that, I couldn't bear to leave this vulnerable-looking woman alone.

Especially since I had succeeded in suppressing a madness that could devastate the city by making her simply remember my existence.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, I have an extra one for emergencies."

I handed her the hood I was wearing and wrapped myself in a cloak from my portable kit.

This one wasn't waterproof, so it would get quite wet, but it was better than nothing.

"Hehe. It's warm."

Trying to appear fine, she wrapped the cloth around herself and smiled, holding the hood in her hand.

She even brought her face close to its surface, as if feeling its texture.

"I can feel Mr. Housekeeper's warmth."

"Is that so?"

"Mm-hmm. It's warm and nice."

Did she feel better, enjoying that warmth?

It was a bit uncomfortable that she felt my warmth without hesitation, but it was fortunate that she felt better.