Chapter 55: The Afterlife Of A Nobleman

Tweet!

Awakened by the chirping of birds, my consciousness surfaced from sleep.

Drawn by the sound, I sat up in bed and quietly gazed out the window, imprinting the sight of the trees reaching up to the second floor in my mind.

Chirping and fluttering, the birds played, brushing against each other.

Their wings flapping and bodies wriggling seemed hardly different from what I had done in bed last night.

So, what was it...?

Chirp! Chirp!

Yes, it was the chirps. Multiple chirps... Chirps...

"Have you woken up?"

Lost in these odd thoughts and staring out the window, I turned my gaze towards her as I heard her voice.

The woman with braided hair and a flowing red cape.

Holding her luggage, she looked like someone who was fully prepared for a journey.

Despite the intense night and disheveled appearance from before, she waited for me to wake up before leaving.

"Ah, yes, good morning."

Damn, just seeing her face made me recall last night's events, flushing my face.

Was it always like this when you embrace a woman?

"But, Airi? About last night..."

"Yes, it happened."

Just as I tried to mask my thoughts, her direct answer hit me.

Stunned for a moment, I could briefly see fatigue on her face.

Yes, we were both exhausted and kept moving until we fell asleep.

"That..."

"Don't apologize."

As I was about to apologize, thinking I had indeed gone too far...

She preempted my apology, and I unwittingly closed my mouth.

"You don't have to bow your head. You've done nothing wrong."

How did she know I was about to bow my head...?

Ah, she was a fortune teller, of course.

"Yesterday's events were not your fault. It was just the result of being toyed with by a vampire you met by chance..."

"No, but..."

"Even if you could have resisted, you never forced me. Even though it happened suddenly, I accepted it, so I share the responsibility for what happened yesterday."

"Yes, that's true, but it was more than I thought..."

"I don't think it was too much."

"Yes, that's a relief, but could you let me speak a bit?"

I felt like I kept stumbling over speed bumps because I was in the dark about everything.

"Rather, you were gentler than I expected, and also..."

Despite my feelings, Airi foresaw the future again and preempted my words.

However, her gaze soon began to wander away from me.

And she slightly pouted her lips, saying,

"...asking for more, I did it because I liked it."

"What?"

"Ahem!"

Airi stifled her next words with a feigned cough.

She then reverted to her usual demeanor, regaining her composure and continuing the conversation.