Chapter 64: Twisted Fate

The most terrifying aspect of traitors who harbored malice against fellow humans was that once they had resolved to hide, they would become indistinguishable from ordinary people.

Such fears were particularly evident in places isolated from society, like dungeons.

[After the first camp is set, if you look for a room with a library, a member of the Assassination Specialist Clan hiding within the party will commence their operation. They plan to take over the base camp that the Adventurers' Guild intends to set up within the dungeon and eliminate all adventurers who come seeking it. It will be a dangerous operation.]

As Airi said, many adventurers besides our party were attempting to conquer this dungeon.

The larger the scale, the more important supply and resting places become, so if a suitable spot were found during exploration, many adventurers would attempt to establish a camp.

Since the overall structure of the dungeon didn't change much, even though the details constantly shifted, the importance of establishing a camp became even greater at the beginning of the exploration.

[If such a base camp falls to the Assassination Specialist Clan, adventurers who enter the camp for rest will be brutally attacked without knowing anything, losing their lives and loot. And since heroes hinder the capture of such camps, some parties of heroes who entered the dungeon have an Assassination Specialist Clan member mixed in.]

[Even if she is a fallen hero, her power as a hero cannot be underestimated, so she too has become a target of the Assassination Specialist Clan. Afterward, her death will be the signal for the Assassination Specialist Clan members who returned to the camp to receive his signal and start their real action.]

After all, even if deemed fallen, she was still rightfully called a hero.

Having witnessed her power, they must strongly feel the need to eliminate her. However, since I also couldn't gain the trust of my party members, they would not believe such circumstances.

"Sigh, I thought I had hidden it well, but where did you find out about my affiliation and name?"

So, explaining the situation should come after dealing with this guy here.

Having reached that conclusion and holding a spear, I confronted the assassin, who aimed a crossbow at me and asked.

"So, what's your plan? You've openly revealed your identity and mine... Should I take it that one of us will leave here dead?"

"Do we really need to talk about it? If you've been sharpening your wits by always targeting heroes from behind, you should know well enough."

"Kyah~ I thought you were the silent type, but you know how to mock too~ So, this is your true self, huh~"

The assassin was smirking arrogantly and insolently.

However, unlike his playful demeanor, the aimed crossbow was steady, and his eyes, which were meeting mine, flashed with murderous intent.

Although it was disconcerting to have my identity exposed, I accepted the situation and faced it coolly since it had already been revealed.

"Well, you must have your reasons for protecting that girl. If your goal was really to eliminate her, you would have waited until I had dealt with her and then backstabbed me to take the credit..."

Of course, he didn't know the exact details about me.

He would have judged me based merely on my notorious reputation as a hero killer, assuming I was another murderer or a person from the underworld.