Chapter 14: Cough, Kill Them

Click.

Darkness followed the sound of the door closing.

Vivian, having returned to her abode, silently stepped away from the entrance and surveyed the interior of the house where she resided.

The place was in severe disarray, just as it had been before her return.

Her research findings had disappeared completely when she awoke and descended to the basement, prompting her to ransack the house in search of them.

Of course, she had already moved the reclaimed results to a safe location. Once she finished packing her belongings, she planned to relocate there and resume her research.

She was confident that the Mage Tower would pay close attention to her defense.

They were desperate, too, and should they betray her, she was determined to ensure they paid the price accordingly...

"Still, conducting research today will be tough."

She had turned both the slums and the Mage Tower upside down.

Since it had been an exhausting day for her, a person who mostly confined herself to her room, she deemed it reasonable to rest for now.

"Yes, just a little bit."

Despite the urgency she felt in her heart to continue her research right away, she recognized the necessity of rest for the challenges ahead.

"Just a little bit compared to the time I've already waited..."

Vivian managed to soothe herself and move her lethargic body back to her room.

She used telekinesis with mana to tidy the slightly disheveled areas, then immediately lay down on her bed, clutching a doll in her arms.

She was about to fall asleep like that, alleviating her fatigue and preparing herself for what was to come when...

Grumble.

"...I'm hungry."

She realized that she had not eaten all day.

While she knew she should eat to regain her strength, Vivian chose to remain in bed, burying her face in the doll to suppress her hunger.

After all, if she attempted to find food for herself, it would likely be nothing more than tasteless, hard biscuits.

Even during her research, she ate those without care, but now, unable to make progress in her research, she felt her heart fill with nostalgia from old memories.

If there was something she needed to put in her mouth to soothe that feeling, it had to be warm food made by someone's hands.

Yes, hiring a housekeeper was also about experiencing such things and revisiting the nostalgia of those days.

'Vivian. Stay here quietly.'

Mother.

The only family who had passed the witch's blood to her.

And if she stopped, she would be someone whom she could only recall as a memory of the past.

'Mom, don't go! I don't want to stay here!'

'It's okay, Vivian. You're going to fall into a long sleep now.'

Whenever she fell asleep, she always remembered her last encounter with her.

The burning cabin and the armed shadows approaching from outside...

And all the moments when she, who blocked their path with a barrier and carried her on her back, stroked her cheek before putting herself in a box.