Chapter 51: Something Better Than A Virgin

Vampires. As their name suggests, they were a race that fed on human blood.

Although their numbers were few and they struggled to act under the sun, the empire's leadership still considered vampires a threat greater than even the Demon King or the Corpse Lord.

They, known as the nobles of the night, excelled at hiding in the darkness and had a great ability to infiltrate society using their power to beguile people.

If these few infiltrated human society to assassinate authority figures or beguile them into becoming puppets for their ambitions, the impact would be incomparable to any conflict caused by brute force.

"Haha, sorry for the dust. I haven't used this hideout in a while."

Indeed, the vampire who had brought me to this abandoned mansion was one of the most infamous fugitives of the empire among his kind.

Virgil Huntress. Commonly known as the Virgin Slayer.

Named for physically tearing apart virgins, he targeted even nobles and royals, making him a target the empire desperately wanted to deal with.

"Find yourself a comfortable spot. I'll bring some drinks."

But what could it be?

Why was this heinous criminal showing me such kindness?

"I'll brew some black tea from the dried leaves I have here... Ah, there's a dessert I bought as a snack. It's a bit old-fashioned, but is that alright?"

"No, it's fine. As a novice adventurer, I'm in a position to be grateful for anything."

"Haha, you're a diligent and admirable young man."

Not just being considerate but even offering compliments.

Was this part of a vampire's beguiling techniques? Using rhetoric to worm into someone's heart...

No, after witnessing him slaughter a femme hero, it was hard to think he had ulterior motives with such a complete change in demeanor.

Aside from what he despises, he generally shows a generous attitude. At least, that was my impression of him.

"Ah, now that I think about it, I didn't properly introduce myself when we met last time."

As if to confirm my speculation, he soon placed his hand on his chest and spoke.

"My name is Virgil Huntress. A noble of the night, and I dabble in the business of darkness as both a hobby and a profession."

"...Business of darkness?"

"Haha, are you interested?"

Slither.

Virgil, having removed his cloak, placed a piece of paper that came out of it on the table.

Inside, there were portraits of women, along with information about them.

What is this? A collection of memorial photos of a serial killer's victims?

"If you have a preference, I can introduce you to a suitable woman from these. As a matchmaker of darkness, I'll find someone who suits your tastes."

"Uh... matchmaking?"

"Yes, I generally introduce widows to new companions. In such a chaotic world, many lose their husbands, but isn't it too cruel to tell them to spend their lives in sorrow?"

The vampire, smiling slyly, fiddled with his hands.

The contented smile on his face showed he truly found his work rewarding.