Chapter 34

As the sunset faded and night gradually fell, after a tough struggle with the monsters and tending to the damaged carriages, I wearily sat in one of the carriages and reviewed the situation with Merilyn.

"We're lucky there were no casualties."

"Yes, indeed. It was close, but everyone managed to hold their ground."

The Adventurers' Guild had measures in place to ensure a minimum level of capability by assigning classes.

No matter how inexperienced the adventurers escorting the caravan were, as long as they remained alert, they could handle monsters of their level.

"Damn, weren't there any priests to lend a hand?"

"Do you think high-level personnel like priests would be in the luggage compartment? They all went with the higher-ranked adventurers!"

Of course, this wasn't a world where you could function perfectly fine with just 1 HP left, like in a game.

Even if you emerged victorious from a battle, wounds persisted, and without proper treatment, it wouldn't be long before death ensued or the injuries impeded future endeavors.

"Let's find a priest later. For now, we'll make do with first aid using potions."

"Those who are injured, come here and show me your wounds."

One advantage was that we were protecting a caravan, and the caravan had a vested interest in ensuring the well-being of the adventurers for its own safety.

We managed to secure some rather valuable potions at no cost, but the adventurers' faces, as they approached the potions, were etched with what could only be described as terror.

"Aaah! What have I done to deserve this agony?!"

"Kraaak! The secret base of the death squad is in a cave in the northern empire!"

"Just end me now!!"

Such exclamations could cause serious issues if overheard by a Knight of Death.

While it was reassuring to see them so lively that they'd likely be ready to fight again soon, the expression on the face of the caravan leader, who was in charge of the group, was far from cheerful.

"So, what's our next move?"

The adventurers who had been commissioned and the merchants belonging to the caravan all expressed anxiety about the current situation.

While they had anticipated monster attacks on the caravan, they had only accounted for the occasional large one or the smaller ones that appeared sporadically.

Although a broken carriage could be repaired and used again, no one could guarantee that such an incident wouldn't recur.

"I think it's best to go back and regroup first."

"No, we're not far from the garrison area. Wouldn't it be a waste to go back now?"

"But there's no guarantee that we won't be attacked again, right? We could be wiped out before we even reach the garrison area..."

"Do groups of monsters really appear that often? Isn't it a bit much to think they'll come in a group again?"

"Think carefully. We might not have had any deaths this time, but it could have easily gone wrong!"

Everyone was arguing whether to proceed to the garrison area as planned or to step back for a while, considering the possibility of another monster swarm attack.

Amid the heated exchange of opinions, the caravan leader, caught in the middle, began to sigh, his face crumpled in frustration.

"...Ugh, this is a headache."