Chapter 6: The Defeated Female Knight Was Eventually Killed By The Orc

Blacklist.

A list compiled for various reasons, such as never accepting a certain person for any job or needing to be cautious around them.

It was understandable that an adventurer's guild, which dealt with people, would have such a list, but I couldn't fathom why my name appeared on it.

"So, you're saying the adventurer's guild singled me out and said not to hire me?"

"It's not exactly like that. It seems that since you were employed there, the frequency of troublesome incidents increased, and hearing this, the adventurers collectively decided not to hire you in protest."

"That's practically the same thing."

There might not have been an official list, but if enough adventurers protested, the guild couldn't just ignore it.

But still, even after hearing the reason, I remained confused.

Troublesome incidents? Me?

I had done everything with a service smile, even when the heroes hurled insults or treated me like a slave or a dog, and worked honestly without a single flaw. So why did they pick on me unfairly?

"Why am I on the blacklist when I've worked diligently?"

"The problem is that you kept working diligently."

"Wow, is this world so messed up that now even diligence is a crime?"

No wonder this world had over a million unemployed youths.

If you're not on the special list with an average top grade in the college entrance exam, no matter what you do, you're not recognized. Who would roll up their sleeves and work passionately?

This world would be more suited to having a million foreign workers than a million unemployed, anyway.

"Look here, young one. Do you understand how dangerous being an adventurer is?"

Yet, for me, who had worked silently and saved money, this news was not only fatal to my future earnings but also felt like a betrayal.

Trying somehow to convince me, the guild master stroked his wrinkled face and quietly explained.

"Demons, undead, vampires, beasts, and so on... With so many dangerous creatures around, there's always a high demand for adventurers who take on these risks, especially those called heroes who undertake the most dangerous tasks. Do you understand so far?"

"Yes, of course. Everyone knows that story."

"Now, let's review the missions you've been responsible for."

Fliip, flip. The guild master showed me the documents about my activities recorded in the Labor Union.

Inside, there were detailed records of all my past work, many of which involved assisting heroes.

"Do you know how many of the heroes you served are still alive?"

"How many are there?"

"All but three are dead! They're all dead, my friend!"

Bang, bang! The guild master slammed the documents with his hand and glared at me.

I felt an indescribable frustration, but I saw several problems with attributing their fate to my responsibility.

"Isn't it common knowledge that heroes are precious, but being an adventurer itself is not a high-survival job? I only carried their stuff; I didn't bash their heads in. How is that my fault?"