Chapter 59: This Is Him...?

"...So, I finally gave it away."

After one burden disappeared.

The one who approached the declining dragon sitting in the abandoned ruins began to slowly reveal their presence.

Was it too late to notice because the other party, like herself, had not much life left?

Or because they had become too weak to even notice such things?

"So, how does it feel? To have entrusted the fate of a race to a foreigner, unrecognized as a hero and powerless."

Whichever it was, it would be considered a humiliation for the dragon, but still, she did not try to shake him off.

After all, he was one of the few in this world who, despite the onslaught of disasters and the flow of time, still remembered that child.

"...Tashian Pheloi, a dragon who, at the end of your life, came to have a lifespan like a human."

To her, all humans looked the same regardless of their names or appearances, but still, she wished to remember that insolent one.

If someone came to her preaching arrogantly, she decided it was worth remembering them—at least that much.

"Why do you continue this meaningless contract?"

Indeed, just as humans couldn't distinguish one insect from another by sight, to her, humans with names and lives appeared no different.

Even if she had killed countless of them, it was impossible for her to feel guilt or compassion towards them.

"Do you not already know the answer in your heart? It might have been different if she were still alive, but to realize it after her death..."

"Hey, kid."

Tacchia Pheloi.

Using the name given on a whim to her adopted daughter as an alias was not out of sympathy or to commemorate her death.

It was purely to fulfill the contract.

For the dragon, the contract was absolute, and it was essential not to forget him, of all people.

"Does your kind abandon your own children for over a decade just because you don't want to face your own ugliness?"

She continued to suppress her power, defining her feelings in such a way.

"......"

"...Even if you talk about immaturity like that person, in the end, it seems you only interpret things as you please."

Even if they lived the same amount of time towards the end, nothing changed.

As much as she had lived for an eternity, the flow of time during these collapsing fifty years also happened faster than what humans experience.

"That damned girl probably hated me in the end. In such a situation, any plea for sympathy, even to save her own kind, seemed trivial to me."

Thus, it was a life that should have ended as it waned.

Conversely, the fifty years of maintaining consciousness as a dead person felt longer and more agonizing.

Even though the outcome was predictable, once it started, she couldn't let it pass indifferently, like a life spent in emptiness.

"...Yes, even if I, as a human, claimed to understand you, it would ultimately be nothing more than conjecture."

The old man, sympathizing with the fallen dragon, ultimately gave up on persuading her.