Chapter 9: The Commonality Between A Maiden And Fruit

Yes, this world was a dark fantasy.

Unlike fiction filled with convenient plot developments, it did not treat those who came from other worlds kindly.

Of course, even in such a world, living just for safety could become tiresome, but the thought of pursuing romance, despite the risks, would inevitably lead to worry.

For me, meeting Vivian was a stroke of luck and even a rare opportunity.

Life was stable, if not stimulating, and the fact that she helped me, not despised me, significantly reduced my stress.

Such feelings grew stronger as I looked back at everything I had experienced in the two years since coming to this world as a porter...

"...Are you the new porter who started working recently?"

Was it about a year ago?

At that time, having gained some experience as a porter, I used it to join a hero who was riding a wave of success, accumulating achievements.

A beautiful woman with blonde hair and greenish eyes.

As a sniper who shot arrows from the rear, she had an unadorned appearance, perhaps to maintain stealth, yet her unhidden, haughty charm was striking.

"Huh, it's a man."

But the reason I still remembered her was not just because she was beautiful, but because, just like the heroes I'd seen so far, she was a damned woman...

"Oh, um, yes. I'm a man."

"Haah, why is it that everyone who joins the party pretending to be something special is always a man?"

A female sniper who particularly reacted to men. In reality, including me, everyone she glared at was composed entirely of men.

In a way, it was an expected outcome.

If one wasn't born with the strength of a hero, the job of an adventurer was not easy for a woman.

"Is there a problem with me being a man?"

"Oh, it's not a problem with you. It's just that I have a phobia of men. Even getting close to them makes me feel nauseous and gives me goosebumps..."

"Ah, I see. If that's the case, I understand."

"Yes, that's right. So, don't harbor such feelings while we're together. We may have to stick together for the duration of the hero's duties, but you guys are just mercenaries hired for money."

She might have been the only woman in the party, but they needed to treat her with respect and boundaries.

At first, I didn't take these stern warnings too seriously.

After all, there are all kinds of people in the world, and to live in such a world, one must have some consideration for others.

"What? A man can't even handle that? Pathetic."

Yet, such consideration could only be maintained if she also respected me.

When she responded to my complaints about the unexpectedly heavy load, my sympathy for her started to fade quickly.

"I'm sorry. It seems the load is just too much..."

"Well, if you aspired to be a porter, you should be able to carry that much. Besides, as a man, not a woman, shouldn't you be able to endure even if it's tough?"

"Ah, yes. I'm sorry."

"Is 'I'm sorry' all you can say? Pathetic, even for a man."

"Even though he's a man," "just a man," "a man who can't do even that," etc...