Chapter 35: Death Flag

To say I felt no guilt would be a lie.

What I shouted to the remaining group was essentially to use them as bait to fend off the monsters.

"Don't stop, keep running!! The group of monsters has already noticed us!!"

But this world was a dark fantasy.

Even a momentary mistake required a heavy price; it was a cruel world that forced the loss of humanity at every moment.

Though my head told me it was wrong, being upset about making inhuman choices was excessive greed itself.

Kiyaah!

So, don't worry about them now.

What we needed to deal with immediately was how to shake off the few monsters that were following us without falling for the bait.

If we stopped dealing with them, there was a risk of being caught by the ones following or additional monsters joining the fray after hearing the commotion in the forest.

"Damn! These annoying creatures!"

At the moment when the monsters, in the form of beasts, ambushed from between the trees.

The ranged attackers tried to fend off the monsters using magic and arrows, but they, even under attack, gnashed their pain into roars, fueling only their appetite for us.

If they couldn't neutralize the mobility or inflict fatal wounds, it was inevitable that they would climb onto the carriages to attack the members or gnaw at the carriages.

"Merilyn! Get down!!"

Swoosh!

The moment I swung my spear and cut down the monster that was targeting Merilyn.

Even though a few more invaded after that, it was not feasible to ask for help from the carriages on the other side.

The number of monsters following us kept increasing, and everyone had to put their effort into protecting their own carriages.

"We're going to be caught at this rate! Can't we increase the speed of the carriage!?"

"Sorry, but this is the maximum speed!"

"Damn, it's because there's too much cargo! If we drop some of it...!"

"I understand, but we can't do that! These supplies are meant for the garrison we're about to arrive at! Not knowing the situation there, we must conserve the supplies for later safety!"

I agree.

As important as it was to escape the immediate danger, knowing that future risks loomed, cutting off our tail to survive must be saved for the very last resort.

"...Damn, but those of us who have to carry it might all die."

Despite understanding that, the adventurers felt impatient with the onslaught of monsters.

No fatalities had occurred yet, but minor injuries were depleting physical and mental strength, making it only a matter of time before the defense network was breached.

"......"

Merilyn, feeling powerless in the situation, tightly clutched the lute in her hands.

Certainly, her abilities could have powerful effects, such as boosting morale, but since the medium was sound, the problem was that the monsters could also be affected.

Humans with added zeal and monsters with added madness. Anyone could tell which side was stronger.

"...Don't blame yourself for not being able to do anything."