Chapter 17: Out Of The Rut

"Here, take this tea. I've also brought some snacks, so try one."

"Wow, this has honey in it."

"Hehe, you need this much to really say you're having a snack, right? Come on, eat up."

We sat side by side on the bench, enjoying a peaceful snack time.

The snacks served with tea had a taste of honey, perhaps because they were the main ingredients.

I never imagined a day would come when I'd eat snacks made of materials considered a luxury in this world.

Indeed, it's said that one must be polite and well-mannered.

"So, I heard you came to get some equipment... But before we talk properly, how about introducing yourself first?"

"Ah, yes. I'm Woo Hyo-sung, affiliated with the Labor Union."

"Hehe, your name is Woo Hyo? That's quite an unusual name."

It's Hyo-sung, not Hyo, but since I'd introduced myself, it should be properly remembered, so I didn't bother to correct it.

Even if they continued to call me Woo Hyo after being corrected, it was just teasing, so there was no need to worry.

"I am pleased to meet you, young man. I am Jang, spending my old age on this street of artisans. Those who know me call me Alley Chief Jang, as I guard this alley."

"Ah, I see."

It was a moment when I thought that name suited him well.

Alley Chief Jang, guarding the street where the blacksmiths resided...

"Are you a blacksmith by any chance?"

"Not a blacksmith, but 'Chief Jang'."

"Hmm, I see. Not a blacksmith, but Chief Jang... It's a title that suits you perfectly."

"Hehe! Every word you speak is to my liking, young man!"

The old man laughed heartily and patted my shoulder.

His thin hand looked like it struggled to even hold a cane, yet the patting felt rather heavy.

Well, it wasn't strange to feel a bit intimidated, even if he wasn't hostile, especially after seeing someone's head get cracked open.

"Well, anyway, if you've come to get equipment, you've come to the right place. I know quite a bit about the artisans on this street. If you have specific equipment in mind, I can recommend a store based on your budget..."

"Ah, yes. So, my budget is about this much, and I'm mainly looking for light armor and weapons suitable for the front line."

I told him about my plans and quickly glanced at his expression.

He nodded his head and finally rested his chin in his hand, deep in thought.

From the start of the consultation, it was clear that he was taking it very seriously.

"If your budget is set at this level, instead of focusing on cost-effectiveness, you might as well indulge in a bit of luxury."

"Luxury, you say?"

"It might not look good for nobles in dire straits to indulge in luxury, but if you're starting an adventure, why not pursue a bit of romance?"

Romance.

That was actually one of the biggest reasons I chose to become an adventurer instead of a foreign worker.

"Traversing continents, finding dungeons, and unearthing the forgotten tomb of a king to acquire treasures... It wouldn't be very glamorous to be wearing shabby, unattractive gear during such monumental moments."