Chapter 50: Heartache

Anyway.

There was a bit of trouble, but the consultation with Tacchia ended fairly smoothly.

I returned the weapon, and we agreed to use the materials I brought to make new armor.

In addition, she bought some of the materials to supplement my living expenses and even gave me extra money to spend on entertainment.

"The armor will be ready by tomorrow, so go home and rest for the day."

"No, you don't have to do this much..."

"Didn't you move me to the bed when I collapsed yesterday?"

"......"

"Keep it. It's also a thank you for fully complying with my request."

Of course, given my situation, it was better to accept whatever I could get.

Just as I was about to leave the forge with the money she gave me...

"Ah, wait a moment."

She went back into the forge and soon came out, placing something in my hand.

A long spear.

It was the Ego Weapon she had lent me before.

"Why this...?"

"I'd like to make an additional deal before you leave."

Deal.

When we first met, she made a sudden offer like this, involving the spear.

She said she wanted to test something with my abilities and would lend me this spear for a while.

"If I give you this spear, would you accept it?"

But now, it wasn't just a matter of lending.

She was offering to transfer the ownership of this precious spear to me.

"...To me?"

"Your abilities have the potential to accelerate the growth of an Ego Weapon. Just receiving regular reports on that would be beneficial in many ways."

Indeed, the weapon recognizes me as its owner; hence, it responds to my call.

Given the effect it had shown in just a few days of use, it would seem worth researching from her perspective as a craftsman.

Since I was the only one with this ability in this world, she probably didn't want to miss this opportunity.

"...What's the condition?"

"You just need to fulfill one wish of mine. However, I'll tell you what it is after you accept... Given the value, I assume you can accept that much?"

To be told what she wanted after accepting...

It was a condition that could easily lead to coercion, but I didn't feel any particular wariness about her offer.

I knew best how remarkable this weapon's performance was, and considering it was still growing, there was a possibility it could become even more incredible.

The opportunity to obtain it now, rather than after saving up money in the future, was a sensational offer in itself.

"So, will you accept?"

"I..."

Yet, my hesitation to readily accept her offer wasn't due to worries about what she might ask for in return.

I believe she, who felt gratitude towards me and even offered me a meal, wouldn't deceive me with malice...

Because I remembered that my decision to borrow this weapon initially was not for its performance but due to my fondness for her.