Chapter 47: Lucky Day

The defense battle at the garrison outside the empire.

My first mission since becoming an adventurer, although the damage was severe, was somehow successfully concluded because the demons and beastmen withdrew midway.

A sense of relief only came after returning to the guild, compiling a report of the recent events, and submitting it to the receptionist.

"Yes, Adventurer Woo Hyo-sung. Your mission completion and survival return report have been confirmed."

"...Is this the end?"

A sense of relief finally crept into my heart upon the receptionist's confirmation.

Realizing that things have settled, I took time to contemplate what I gained and lost through this ordeal.

What I gained included the reward money for participating in the garrison defense as a low-ranking adventurer and a small amount of merit points needed for the rank promotion of an adventurer.

And a slight change in the aptitude rating that had been stagnant for two years.

Aptitude Ratings
Physical: C+++
Skills: C++
Intelligence: C-
Senses: C+
Mental: A+
Mystery: F
Yes, the Mental Aptitude, which was A, had risen to A+.

Just A+ was added, but considering grade A was the limit for humans, this growth couldn't be taken lightly.

In reality, it was this mental strength that became the decisive factor in the fight against that damned lazy person, and such mental strength had grown even more after that fight.

Except for the A+ added to the physical rating while doing Porter's work for two years, there wasn't much change. Was it something like what wouldn't kill me makes me stronger?

Well, I didn't feel it much, but I liked that the system acknowledged my growth.

"...The problem is that I've lost more than I've gained."

Yes, as they say, life is unpredictable, and with the good comes greater bad.

Compared to the gains of a modest reward and the rank rise in mental strength, the losses incurred in this mission were by no means small.

I had an uncertain farewell with someone I hoped to be with in the future, and even if I tried to forget it, the reality that the armor in which I invested all my assets was shattered awaited me.

Damn, after returning the Ego Weapon, I had to get a new one. Could I buy a used one with just the emergency fund?

"You are Adventurer Woo Hyo-sung, right?"

As I was feeling such lament, a guild staff member approached the receptionist, who was continuing with the procedures.

Behind him, who was calling me, was a large backpack, which soon dropped in front of me with a thud!

"Wh-what is this?"

"What else? It's the processed product from the demon's corpse you killed, Adventurer Woo Hyo-sung."

A demon's corpse.

Come to think of it, demons were used as materials depending on the individual. Does that mean the guild dismantled the body of that lazy demon I killed?

"The supervisors said that the demon was quite high-ranking. Although its level is a bit lower, in terms of potential, they say it was at least of a commanding rank in the Demon King's army."

"What? That guy was of a commanding rank?"

"Combining the testimonies of the adventurers who were with you, it's certain. To handle a monster that could change the terrain on his own, you're really amazing, even as a newcomer!"