Chapter 49: No, How Could Your Mom Be Such A Huge Mouse...?

Hoooong.

As my consciousness returned, the sound of the wind could be heard.

Along with it, the once blurry vision gradually cleared, and the surrounding landscape began to come into view.

Ruined and weathered buildings were everywhere, giving a sense of emptiness to the city that seemed to have been abandoned.

"Why am I here?"

I wondered, feeling out of place and trying to recall why I was in such a location.

"This is strange, isn't it?"

I was certain I had been in Tacchia's forge, yet here I was, wandering through ruins.

Thud.

A faint sound caught my attention amidst the confusion.

Following the sound, I came upon a girl squatting in the middle of what seemed to be a square.

Thunk, thud.

Yes, it was a child.

A child in a blue bob haircut and a dress, digging in the sand with a trowel in her hand...

"Hey, little girl?"

Thinking this was a fortunate encounter in such a bewildering situation, I cautiously approached and asked.

"...Huh?"

The girl dropped her trowel and blankly turned to look at me, blinking her eyes.

Her gaze, untainted and pure compared to the bleakness around us, met mine.

"...Da."

Realizing something, the girl soon ran towards me, shouting with a bright smile.

"Daddy~!"

"Wh-what?"

"It's Daddy, Daddy. Hehe~"

By the time I regained my senses, the girl was hugging my waist, her laughter filling the air, rendering me unable to question the situation further due to her endearing nature.

I felt bewildered as though I had become a widower before even shedding my naivety, but the sight of the girl clinging to me and giggling was so adorable that any thoughts of argument just disappeared.

Well, she looked no more than three or four years old, so it was possible she mistook me for her father or missed him.

"Alright, let's just go with that for now."

Holding the girl in my arms, I stroked her head and quietly surveyed the desolate place.

The only person I found in this mysterious abandoned city was a little girl.

Given the bizarre circumstances, the girl in my arms became all the more significant.

"I'm not sure if we can communicate properly, but it seems I'll have to rely on her to navigate this situation."

"Hey, little girl. Do you have a mother?"

"...Mama?"

Wait a minute. What did I just say?

Was I using the kind of language meant for students bummed about their gaming luck on a child who was all by herself? What if this kid was actually an orphan?

"Mama is here."

"You do have a mother!"

Thankfully, the girl had a mother, and I was relieved to avoid being labeled as someone who makes inappropriate jokes to an orphan.