Chapter 43: Please Forget Me.

Yes, it was intense.

The heat was enough to melt even the chill left by the Spirit King's contractor.

She now felt something stirring between herself and him.

"Fall for me?"

Love.

A feeling stronger and more passionate than any desire, but one that imposed devotion.

"Don't say something so foolish. Who..."

It was something that could never arise in demons consumed by selfishness.

If anything, it would just be lust mistaken for love.

"Who would be enchanted by someone who came in such a disheveled state? I'm a demon. Just look at the corpses strewn around here. They are more severely damaged than you..."

Even reproduction was just a means to fulfill their desires or used as avatars to achieve what they themselves couldn't. That was the nature of demons.

How could she, who considered even that to be outside her interest as it didn't serve her purpose, confidently say she had a longing for the opposite sex?

"Me, who feels no emotion even when committing such acts, couldn't possibly feel that now..."

Yet why couldn't she dismiss the words left by the one who left this place as a silly joke?

Why, as she looked down at this wounded man, did not a single insincere smile form on her face, as usual?

"...But why?"

Drip, drop.

Droplets flowed down and wiped away the bloodstains on her face.

Unaware of even that, she felt her rationality drowning in her emotions, finally placing her hand on his cheek and whispering her inner thoughts.

"Is there even a slight chance that I wish for such a thing to happen?"

Her heart felt like a sandbank had been filled with weathered memories.

A shining pebble found in that barren and empty world felt dazzling to her at this moment.

The desire to grasp it in her hand and hold it close to her heart surely stemmed from an emotion called desire...

"...Mr. Hyo-sung."

Love.

A feeling more powerful and passionate than any desire, yet one that necessitated devotion.

"What were your feelings when you rushed toward me?"

Yes.

The demon was in love.

"Do you also feel the same as me?"

Pushed by an unreciprocated loyalty to the brink of death.

A passionate love that now doesn't hesitate to sacrifice herself.

"...Cough."

His body reflexively rose due to the heat covering his whole body.

He felt his heavily subdued mind awakening, but such struggles couldn't lead to consciousness due to something restraining his body.

His body was just writhing, and his muscles and joints were constricted by something hard.

Feeling suffocated, he turned his head to the side and saw a man tending to someone lying in the next bed.

Being cared for, wrapped in bandages all over...

Perhaps a patient who looked as battered as I did.

"Ah, have you come to?"