99. A tragic past

Start from the beginning

Zadhea felt flustered at his question. "Why?" She repeated before coming to her senses. "Of course, it's because I'm curious! You are my friend and you aren't human. So don't blame me for being curious."

"How much do you want to know?" Sully asked emotionlessly. "I can't possibly tell you everything."

"No. You have to tell me everything," Zadhea stubbornly insisted.

"Okay." Sully let out a heavy sigh. "Help me achieve the first place, and I'll tell you everything."

"Deal."

_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_

After the small ceremony of the Seniors' departure, Heidith met the president of the students' council for one last time before Vincenzo left for Italy.

"Congratulations."

"Thanks. I hope I'll pass."

Heidith shook his head at Vincenzo's words. "You've got to be kidding me. I know you'll achieve the first rank as always." He tapped on his shoulder. "Have a successful life ahead. Be a kind ruler."

"Kind? You mean cunning?" Vincenzo chuckled. "Heidith, do you know what's the difference between us? We are both handsome and smart. If we were the same age, there's no doubt... You'd be my best rival. But something is VERY different. It's your kind heart. You are such a nice person. Maybe too nice. Like too good to be true kind of person. Do you know being so good isn't good for you?"

"Why?" Heidith grinned. "Why are you praising me so much? It feels weird."

"It's because... Thanks to you, I could complete my last mission as the president without a burden. You didn't even complain and finished it very quickly. Also, just within a week. Last year, it took me two weeks to do that project. And I wasn't even the president. Despite the exams, the former president did most of the work. I only had a few things to do. But this time... I literally did nothing." He put a hand on Heidith's shoulder. "Brother, I have no words to express my gratitude towards you."

Heidith smiled. "It's nothing. It's my duty as well as a responsibility."

"Oh geez! Don't say it like that. Just tell me that you value me as your good elder brother. That way, it'll make me so happy. Don't say duty, obligation, and stuff like that."

"Oh-kay." Heidith nodded in a daze. "I really thought of it as my..."

"C'mon, Heidith! You really have to hurt me like that!"

"...Sorry."

"Nah, nah. It's fine, it's fine."

After a brief moment of silence, Vincenzo proceeded to ask, "About the next election... Are you planning to apply for the position of the next president?"

Heidith thought about it for a while. "I don't know. Maybe."

"You must. I know you are the most capable person for that position," Vincenzo assured him with a smile. "You'll be better than me, indeed. I'm selfish unlike you."

Heidith looked at him with a serious expression on his face. "It's human nature to be selfish sometimes. But as a future king, you have to learn how to be selfless for your people, you know. Furthermore, you aren't selfish, okay? And you were a great leader for our school. Thanks, brother Vincenzo."

"Yeah. Thank you!" Vincenzo felt at ease. "About the grand banquet after our exam results... You're gonna come, right?"

"Obviously," Heidith confirmed.

Vincenzo hesitated before asking, "Who'll be your companion?"

"Who else? I already have a fiancée. I'll bring her with me."