9. Mario's hidden desire

Mario's silver eyes shone as a faint smile appeared on his lips. He professionally handled his brush, drawing a colourful picture on a large canvas. His movements were gentle and his whole persona looked calm like a slow breeze.

"What are you drawing?" Zadhea sneaked a peek.

"Nothing!" He tried to cover his painting but alas, she already saw that.

Zadhea froze. It was her!

The girl on the painting had beautiful waist-length red wine hair along with a pair of sparkling phoenix blue eyes. Her ocean blue floor length gown emphasized her eyes. She looked elegant and slim, carrying an aura suitable for a future queen. She didn't look like an innocent, cute girl. Instead, she looked like an energetic young lady who was determined to carry hardships. Her strong personality looked astonishing.

'But I don't wear dresses like this though,' Zadhea thought in her mind.

"It's my gift for your fifteenth birthday," Mario nervously clarified.

Zadhea returned to herself. She rolled her eyes and replied, "It was on yesterday not today!"

"Sorry, it took me more time than I expected." Mario lowered his eyes guiltily.

Zadhea casually waved her hand. "It's okay."

Mario was sitting on a chair while Zadhea stood beside him. He had to look up to glance at her blue eyes.

Looking into her eyes deeply, he asked, "Do you like it?" His voice carried a hint of anticipation.

Zadhea gulped. She wasn't dumb. Her woman extinction told her that he might like her. She didn't want to give any man a hope. She would leave this world anytime soon. Hence, she didn't want anyone to miss her. Or else, they would be sad.

Because of that, she acted cold in front of everyone including her own father who loved her to bits. She knew that she couldn't do the same with her grandma. Maybe fortunately, the king's mother rested in peace four years ago due to a sickness.

Zadhea became herself only when she was with her friends. That meant Evelyn and Mario. Seemed like being friends with Mario wasn't a good idea.

She wanted to ask him directly. But she was reluctant. What if... She was just thinking too much?! Wouldn't it be a shame?

Mario became eighteen this year. That meant he was an adult. Come to think of it, Prince Heidith was at the same age as him. He was also an adult! Right?

Since her eighth birthday, he had never given her a present till this day. His only gift was the kitten. It was no longer a little kitten. Now Lilian became a giant, prideful cat who didn't care about anyone except her owner, Princess Zadhea.

Zadhea wasn't unhappy. The cat was enough for her.

Nevertheless, King Foneth never forgot to send gifts for her birthday every year. It seemed like he reminded them that she was his future daughter-in-law annually.

Heidith seemed to forget his future wife. Did it mean that he already met the female lead and hopelessly fell in love with her? She didn't know. Maybe she needed to ask about their love story from Evelyn, just in case...

Being aware was an advantage. If you want to destroy them, be closer to your enemies.

Mario's chest tightened when he didn't get a reply for a long time. Each second felt like an eternity.

Eventually, he cleared his throat and said, "Fine. Just forget it."

Zadhea came back to her senses. "Forget what?"

"You don't like it, do you?"

"..."

She really felt like what he meant was, 'You don't like me, do you?'

"Mario, you are so talented. How can I not like it?" In the end, she blurted out. "It's beautiful. I love it but... Don't waste your time too much on me. F-find a girlfriend."

Her face blushed from embarrassment. What nonsense was she talking about? So narcissistic!

Mario's heart clenched as an undescribable feeling filled in it.

He awkwardly let out a low chuckle. "Don't worry. It's just a birthday present. Nothing else."

'Even if I want to, I can never have you. Who am I? Of course, me, a son of a poor maid, is definitely not worthy of you.'

"Oh. Okay. I'll leave now, then. Bye, bye!" Zadhea became so embarrassed. Sure enough, she was just overthinking. She really wanted to slap herself. 'Ugh. So embarrassing!'

She literally ran out of his chamber.

'So cute!' Mario gently smiled, looking at her departing figure.

----------------

"Still wearing pants and shirts! What can I do about you? You are about to get married in a few years. How can you act unladylikely?" Queen Margaret gave Zadhea her usual lecture.

"When you go to Ashenara acedemy next month, don't make me a laughing stock by wearing men's clothes. Practise wearing dresses already otherwise, later, you will find it difficult to do so."

"Ashenara acedemy?" Zadhea raised a brow. "I love homeschooling. No need to send me to schools."

"It's my decision. You must go to a college. It's a must. There's no room for a discussion."

"Father..." Zadhea pitifully looked at the king who was busy doing some paperwork.

When he heard his daughter's voice, King Edwin shrugged his shoulders. "I can't help you this time, my lady. Your mother is determined."

"Humph!" Zadhea puffed her cheeks like a kid.

How could she go to a college? How could she find time for training if she had to go to a college and get bored there. It was a secret she hid from everyone for the past twelve years.

"How long do I need to stay there?"

"Not that much. Four years." The queen nonchalantly replied.

Zadhea thought of using her final card.

"Mommy," She acted coquettishly. "Won't you miss me?"

The queen rolled her eyes. "You are rarely at home. It makes no difference."

"But still..."

"Enough Zadhea!"

Zadhea angrily left the dining room, holding her sword. She got a beautiful silver sword from her father during her fourteen birthday. Ever since, she carried it with her everywhere she went.

She trained sword practice the entire day without taking a rest. Her whole body drenched in sweat and her hair became damped and sticked to her neck.

'Ugh, stupid hair!' She cursed her hair. She wanted to cut it short but of course, the queen refused it firmly.

"Easy, there, girly." A voice made her stop cutting one of her soldiers' neck. (Of course, she wouldn't do that!) When she turned around, she was surprised to see Evelyn standing there with a smile on her face.

When they sat down under the oak tree, Evelyn immediately apologized. "Sorry, I couldn't attend your birthday banquet."

"It's fine." Zadhea gave her a smile. "How was the trip?"

Evelyn let out a tired sigh. "Exhausting..."

"I thought you would return tomorrow."

"It ended quickly so I rushed here to apologize to you. What happened, by the way? You don't look alright..."

"It's about Ashenara acedemy. Did the male lead attend there for his education? And villainess too?"

Evelyn's eyes widened in shock.

"More than half of the book!" She exclaimed. "Everything happened there!!! They fell in love, villainess' schemes against female lead, bla bla bla..."

"Oh no!" Zadhea shivered in fear.

She really didn't want to go to that scary place!