6. A calm night

Suddenly a book dropped out of the teary-eyed boy's pant's pocket and kissed the ground with a thud, attracting their attention.

The boy reacted fast as he quickly picked it up and hid it behind his back.

Zadhea blinked her eyes and looked at him.

Then, without a mercy, she reached out her right hand and ordered, "Gimme the book this instant."

The boy hesitated but leaving with no other choice, he lowered his head and handed the book over to her.

Zadhea carefully flipped through it and realized that it was a drawing book. Her eyes lit up as she examined the drawings. There were drawings of forests, waterfalls, morning sun, a palace, etc.

Although they weren't professional, they still looked beautiful. Maybe the artist wasn't a legend yet but he or she would definitely be, in the future. She could tell that despite having a zero talent at drawing.

"Wow! Beautiful! Do you know who drew them?" She asked, delighted.

"It's... Me."

"Wait what?"

Zadhea couldn't believe her ears. An eight-year-old could draw them? When she was at his age, she only knew how to draw a five-petals flower and a girl with big face and a very tiny body along with pigtails braids.

"And you still dare to call yourself nothing?" She snapped at him.

The poor boy flinched in fear. Then when he finally understood what she actually meant, his ears turned pink.

"Do you like them? I thought they are ugly..."

"Not at all, silly." She interrupted him. Then making puppy eyes, she requested, "Can you be my teacher? I wanna know how to draw!"

The boys entire face turned pink. He looked even more adorable.

Eh... Wait a second. Why was he acting like she confessed to him or something?

"You no longer have to steal food. I'll ask father to pay you for tutoring me," She added.

"...No need," The boy stated firmly. "I'll teach you but I don't need anything in return."

How could he still ask for money? She spared him for stealing food. That was more than enough for him. He could do anything she asked for just to repay her kindness.

Zadhea could see through his mind. She chuckled and patted his back, saying, "Take it and be a good boy, okay? I don't want to hear otherwise or else I'll be sad."

In the end, he was forced to accept her request.

"Now... Let's continue eating." Zadhea brought some food with her and sat in front of the old rack along with the boy. Then not caring about his refusal, she shared her food with him.

"By the way, I forgot to ask your name."

"I'm Mario, your Highness."

"Mario? It sounds handsome. We are friends now so call me Zadie, okay?"

"Yes, your hi... I mean, Zadie."

That night was one of the best nights Mario could ever have. He looked at the pretty girl next to him and sincerely thought in his mind, 'Thank you, Princess.'

What a calm night!

Three years passed. Zadhea became eight years old. She was now good at handling her sword and bow, much to her father's delight.

"This time, we should hold a banquet and invite royalties and high class members to celebrate the princess' birthday." Queen Margaret suggested.

Actually, she wanted her daughter to meet her future husband. They still hadn't met eachother after their failed engagement. Eight years had already passed since that day. She became worried.