54

(DON'T PLAY THE MUSIC YET)

Through the jet windows I make out a white sand dessert. I'm not sure where we are but the terrain has changed from orange desert to pure white sand. It seems that we're passing a national desert. Its size is monumental. ...

Jace leaves his seat to open a wall compartment. He unhooks what looks like a hang glider from the closet.

"I had a feeling it involved jumping." I stand from my seat.

"Still want to do it?"

I cautiously probe the glider. "Yeah...it'll be fun." My voice cracks with fear. I act tougher than I am. "Like you said, I'm going to go for it and live a little."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I say in a high pitched tone. "Let's do it."

Jace holds a hand out for me, which I go to take. "You'll be in front of me while I steer. I've done this a hundred times, don't be afraid." He straps the glider to his back, then buckles me into the constraints for arms, legs, and crotch. Then does the same to himself. "Halt trajectory." The jet plane pauses mid air, hovering. "Open the side hatch."

The door before us departs at the middle. I inhale all the air around me until I can't take in anymore. The still jet gives an illusion of moving due to the quick motion of the clouds. The muffled winds block out all sound. I can barely hear Jace. I think he's asking if I'm ready. I nod and clench my hands closed nervously.

Jace leaps from the jet. My stomach inverts and turns upside down. The gravity of my abdomen swirls. It feels light and free...yet scary and alarming.

(PLAY THE MUSIC)

We sky fall, dipping past the clouds. I watch the fluffy whiteness turn to mist as we breakthrough. The glider expands behind me. The long wings fan out far to each side, at least 10 feet long.

I turn my head to see the carbon fiber material withstand intense wind pressure. They don't budge. I look down at the pale sand far below. The desert resembles a ruffled blanket, almost creating creases like cloth. The sun shines down, lighting the sand up like diamonds.

Jace slowly unball my fists from the tight lock I have them in. He frees my fingers and allows me to co pilot the mechanical wings with him. One tug downward sends us plummeting lower to the ground. I let out a scream of pure happy terror. A mixture of excitement and deadly thrill. I hear my husband laughing.

We maneuver the glider in dipping soars, flips, nose dives, high dives and 360 circles. I yell happily at the rush.