19

I kiss his forehead and dry his tears

I kiss his forehead and dry his tears. My arms tighten across his body. Jace needs all the consoling in the world. I want to ask what they said, but I'm sure it's not a hard guess. He told me Kim wanted to end us being together. That includes the whole family. I bet they tried to force him to leave me. 

That would make anyone emotional. First, the media, now his family. I don't understand how so many people are bothered by us being in love. He's been sad since the shower. I want to do something to cheer him up. Oh! I think I got it! I kiss him gently. "I'll be back in an hour." 

"An hour?" He's baffled.

"Yeah." I stand up.

"Where are you going?"

"It's a surprise."

He reaches to grab my hand. "Don't leave...I need you." Jace pleads; his voice is so broken.

"Aww, baby." I take hold of his hand. "I know, but I promise it'll brighten your day. I'll make it quick." I smooch his lips, then the top of his head. "I love you."

His sage eyes shimmer: I swear his irises bounce. "I love you." My eyes feed off his; the intoxication is contagious. He pulls me by the hand and reels me closer. "You can't look at me like that, then leave."

"You started it." I trace the veins that span from his hand to his elbow. "I'll be back."

Jace lets go of my hand. "Alright...I'll inform the guards."

It takes so much willpower to leave him alone. The separation anxiety is brutal, but I force myself to walk away. My baby needs a gift; he's given me so many. It's time I return the favor. I meet up with the bodyguards. I whisper the surprise into Alonso's ear, asking him to keep quiet. He can't tell Jace. My mom catches this. "What's going on?" She stops washing dishes in the sink. I'm guessing my dad is somewhere smoking. Only Lil and Jess are on the couch. 

"Come on; I need my A-Team."

JACE

Why did she leave? I really do need her right now for support. I need a woman's touch...a nurturing touch. My gut is tight and full of a depth equivalent to a pit. An endless pit. It's getting worse. The talk with Paul last night, on top of the family feud, has shattered me. A nonstop warp of gloominess defeats me. I've never felt so hopeless. So lost. 

My bunny appears to be on a mission to correct this. Madi has a surprise. I can't figure out what it could be. She loves keeping me guessing.

The phone on my desk, a retro rotary, rings. I clear my throat and answer. "Hello?" "Bonjour, Monsieur Harrison." A French woman greets. "I am Nadia, the assistant for Orbe Industries. The council has agreed to the alliance. We hope your offer still stands?" 

"Yes, it does. I look forward to the partnership." 

"So do we. Great! I'll inform the council. Au revoir, Monsieur Harrison."