7

It takes an hour to relay all the needed information to build a case

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

It takes an hour to relay all the needed information to build a case. I share Brad's address and the hotel address where the first incident occurred. Alonso provides the coordinates of Grand Park. Nickelson gives me his business card. "The case is processing. The prosecutor will investigate the report and determine if there is sufficient evidence. If there is, a judge will take on the case. You must wait for further communication during this time."

Outside, paparazzi surround the Drako. Alonso shifts me in front of him and outstretches his arms to clear a path. I cover my face from the flashing cameras and wish I could plug my ears.

"Why were you in the police station?!"

"There's a video from Grand Park. Was that you, Ms. Hart?!"

"Are you cheating on Jace??"

"Over here!"

Snap, snap, snap. The cameras are blinding. Alonso opens the car door for me. I race in and slam it. The blazing cameras light up the back seat. I hide the side of my face. I want to go back to Alodia. Far away from people. The island was my escape before; it has to be again. Alonso honks the horn at press members who move to the front and side of the car. A few of them knock on the window. "Hey, why are you hiding?!"

"Talk to us!!"

"Did you press charges on that guy???"

Alonso revs the sports car as if in a drag race. The tires shriek, and the engine booms. This causes the vultures to flee to the sidewalk. I'm glad when he speeds off. I lower my hands. "I can't wait to get to the island."

He looks through the rearview mirror at me. "Mr. Harrison has me escorting you to the Penthouse, not the island."

"The penthouse??" I squint. "Why?"

"No clue, but those were his orders." I grimace like an angry cat.

"Would you like to make adjustments? I could send a text his way."

That's tempting, but I'd rather not nag right now. However, I don't want to be around anyone. But I have no choice. "No...don't bother him. I'll just go to the penthouse." I don't think my parents know about Jace's secret room. I could hide there until I feel like socializing. The elevator opens to the sunny penthouse. I glance around, checking if the coast is clear. I peek down the hall. No one is there.

I power-walk to the concealed door. "Please let my parents know that I don't want to be bothered," I tell Alonso. He nods. I tap the wall and rush in, almost colliding with the door. The cabin-styled room depresses me. It's mocking my dream. The cabin surrounded by snow. I flop onto the massive bed with watering eyes. We had a fun time in this room. I should have chosen another one. But I want to be close to Jace, even if it's his empty room.

I hug a pillow and bury my face into it. My crying is silent...until I get a whiff of citrus. Jace's scent. I recall laying my head in the nook of his neck. Recall his dashing smile and soft lips. I sob like a baby; glad the room is soundproof. Glad that I have memories of him to help me through this breakup. Why did he question my devotion? Why did he say I needed to prove myself?? I have shown how much I care. I even said the three words. I love you. And I want to keep saying them. I shared so much with him. I trusted him willingly.