3

The rain calms enough for the helicopter to sail the dark skies

The rain calms enough for the helicopter to sail the dark skies. Its blades splatter water from left to right. If only time could speed up. I count the minutes, knowing the ride will be about 30 minutes in this weather. I'm not much for prayer, but I'm hoping to God that I'll arrive in time.  

Me: Is she still unconscious? 

Christine: Yes

Me: What about her vitals?

Christine: Weak vitals as of right now.

Weak??! What the hell is going on?! I group text my doctors: ETA. I go to Apple Maps on my phone to view the distance to Dignity Health: 25 minutes away. "Increase speed," I command the craft.

"Speed caution required for weather conditions."

"Override. Increase speed." The flying machine turbos ahead, slicing the rain faster. Lightning and thunder harmonize the cloudy sky.

One of the doctors texts: 15 minutes away.

I'll be there at that time at the rate I'm flying. Good, I'll have the docs scan Madison right away. Hopefully, they can wake her up.

Me: Send a photo 

I impatiently tap the armrest of my chair. On Apple Maps, the arrival is 12 minutes. Good. I'll be near her soon. Christine sends a photo. There are three people on her bed, two girls and a guy; their backs are to the camera. I can't make out faces. Whoever they are, I'm glad she has support. Madison looks as if she's sleeping, yet her expression shows discomfort. So, she's hurting while unconscious. 

I exhale roughly. My doctors await on the hospital's helipad. I step off my craft, which landed a few seconds after theirs. There's a heavy drizzle from above. "Let's go. I'll explain on the way."

The three track after me with medical briefcases made of dark leather. We near an exit and go down a stairway. "The subject is Madison Hart, the Uber victim. I'm sure you all have heard of the tragedy. Tonight, she experienced head pain and passed out. Her scans are clear, yet something is off." 

"What medications are she on?" A woman named Lori asks.

"Just morphine."

"Nothing else?"

"No, according to my informant here, that's all she's on."

"Hmmm." One of the guys' mumbles. "If that's the case, the patient shouldn't have passed out."

"Those are my thoughts exactly." I make it to the bottom and open the door for my crew. "What could be the cause?"

"A concussion."

"Maybe a hemorrhage."

"Or a seizure from impact." The three converse.

"You stated that her scans were clear?"