37

MADISON

The last thing on Velma's list is finally complete

The last thing on Velma's list is finally complete. Me and Trisha whip up Sour Cherry Negroni in the bar to celebrate this. She used to work at a club when she was young, so she's better than me. I thought I was quick with my hands. My aunt easily mixes gin, campari, martini rubino. Tempus Fugit Creme de Noyaux, acid cherry juice, bourbon cherry and citric acid.

"Show off."

"Don't hate me cause I'm spectacular."

I crack up. "Maybe I'm a little jealous. I should've worked at a nightclub instead."

"I did college mixers too...I'm glad that you followed in my footsteps."

"It was either working over the phone like mom or selling drinks at a country club."

"Thank god you chose the fun one." She adds ice to the dark pink drink. "Now that you're free of duties, what will you do?"

"I'll just enjoy the days with my fiancé."

"Are you sure you don't want to spend time apart for anticipation? That'll get y'all juices flowing."

"That's true." I smirk. "But the days will drag if I'm not around him."

"Aww...you're so adorable."

"Very adorable." Meredith says from the doorway. Her black and gold pantsuit is impeccable compared to our casual wear. Trisha has on a simple sundress and I'm wearing shorts and a tank top. She criticizes our clothes before stepping in. "I'm Meredith." Mrs. Harrison approaches my aunt.

"Trisha...it's nice to formally meet you."

"Ah, your accent is very peculiar...especially in a place like this."

My aunt's eyes slit. She clocks the belittling statement. My mom doesn't have the same radar her sister does. "I'll accept your backhanded compliment for the sake of my niece. But if you try it again, I won't be so hospitable." Trisha threatens her as an angel would. Sweetly yet menacingly.

"Oh, I meant no disrespect. My apologies." Her uppity tone is unbearable.

My aunt evil eyes her. "Apology not accepted."

I anxiously stare between them. I don't want any drama...although Meredith is poking Trisha. It's childish on someone her age. "Let's start over...I think you misunderstood her, Trish." I suggest to direct my aunt away from pounding on my mother-in-law. "She's nice." I lie...I'm sure to sound genuine.

"We'll see about that."

Meredith smiles warmly, I'm shocked that it's convincing. "Madison is right. Shall we start over?" She offers her hand.

Trish sighs and swallows her anger. She accepts the handshake. "We shall."

"Great." Meredith grabs a drink from the counter to seem inviting, but I know everything she does is calculated. She's so scripted. "I couldn't help but overhear you telling Madison to spend time away from my son. I support this suggestion. It'll help amplify their desire for the honeymoon."