29

I've never been in charge of designing anything before

I've never been in charge of designing anything before. The fact that I'm looking over layouts to approve it is so surreal! There's a panel of architects who await my choice. I'm a bit scared. I might screw up and choose one that's too similar and get Jace into legal trouble. 

There are 30 different options for the home screen, app page, and navigation bar. "The toolbar should be across the top of the screen. The app pages shouldn't be pages but category boxes. The Home Screen should display weather, news, time, and percentage. Maybe these should be shown as huge icons, not tiny symbols. "I choose the 15th option and hand it over. 

"As for the passcode to unlocking the phone?" a geeky guy asks.

"I think it should only be face recognition, no codes. That'll set it apart from our rivals."

"And the registered App Store for the SPhone?"

"That'll be released at a later date," Jace replies for me.

"Hmm...I see, but we will need an idea of it. A name would help."

"S-Market." Jace brainstorms.

"Perfect." The guy scribbles down the name on a table. He then scans the design I chose and mirrors it on the screen. 

A chubby dark-haired woman mirrors her tablet as well. "Now for the color scheme. Since space is the major theme for the phone. I suggest black and white all around. The apps could show a metallic gray to differentiate the tone. The color pallets should fuse evenly for a dynamic contrast. 

A sort of blurry line of demarcation." She demonstrates this on the screen. The black and white colors are stark as they blend, dissolving into one another. The mock apps are adjusted to gray. All my instructions are visible on the page. 

After Jace and I sign off on the architects' agreement, we head to the lab to view the prototype. The phone is sleek and thin. Robotic claws extend the device to its full length, 10 inches, then fold it back to a 5 by 8 phone. Five cameras line the middle backside of the phone. 

An engineer lists all the capabilities. "64-core processor. 5.2GHz. Turbo Boost 256GB memory. 7GB/s. SSD 40TB storage space. 260TFLOPs. All while producing minimum system noise." The woman clicks on the camera tab. "Classified resolution beyond any camera known to the public. My guess is 16k resolution. 132.7 megapixels, 16 times as many pixels as 4K resolution and 64 times as many pixels as 1080p resolution." 

"NASA is a show-off."

"That they are." She nods. "This will be the main reason the launch will have to go through a 3-month trial. These features alone are massive since nothing similar has ever been created. Beta testers will be needed to rate performability."

"Of course, there can be no malfunctions." My fiancé plucks the phone from its stand. "How many test prototypes are ready?"

"300."