Chapter 57: Little Grape

Start from the beginning

"We won't be able to hunt for anything in an open field."

"We can afford to buy meat from town or the local hunters. It's fine if we don't catch any rabbits or quails." Yichen said. He was even willing to start work as a doctor sooner if he had to.

"I'm not fat yet. I can see my feet fine and there's no problem with my balance. Let me keep hunting in the forest. If I start to have trouble walking I'll stop."

Yichen wanted to say no but he knew how independent Mochou liked to be.

"You'll also be with me. I promise not to go without you." Mochou added when it seemed Yichen might say no.

"Fine, but you have to listen and no mushrooms."

"Why not! Didn't I prove last time that I am great at identifying mushrooms?"

"The risk is too high. No more mushrooms."

"So unfair." Mochou mumbled.

"Mochou, don't pout. There are plenty of other foods for you to enjoy. Give up on mushrooms." Yichen said with a light chuckle.

"I like mushrooms."

"Give up on mushrooms. You'll be able to enjoy some other foods and crazy cravings." Yichen said.

"Cravings? Like what?"

"It's difficult to say. Everyone is different. Whatever it is I'll try my best to get it for you."

"What if I crave mushrooms?"

"Give up on mushrooms."

This time it was Yichen's turn to pout and Mochou's turn to laugh.

"Alright, stop pouting. I'll give up on mushrooms. but after the baby is born I'll be eating them again. Mushrooms are way too delicious to give up." Mochou swore.

"We'll see." Yichen thought as he lowered his head against Mochou's shoulder.

"What else do I have to look forward to?" Mochou asked.

"Let's take things one step at a time. Right now it's important that we adjust your diet and start being more careful." Yichen said.

There was a lot that would change and happen now that Mochou was pregnant. However he didn't want to overwhelm him so Yichen decided to take things one step at a time.

"Okay. I'll listen to you."

...

The two of them continued to quietly chat under the tree until the afternoon.

"Yichen, I love spending time with you like this but I'm getting hungry." Mochou said.

"Sh*t! Sorry Mochou I lost track of time. What do you want for lunch. We don't have any eggs but I think we have some pork. I can run over to my parents and ask them for a few. Unlike us they have chickens that are laying eggs." Yichen said in a light panic for neglecting Mochou's health.

"Eggs for lunch? I would rather not have eggs for lunch."

"What would you prefer?"

"Dumplings. Yichen let's use te pastor the pork and make dumplings with, ginger, carrot, leek, cabbage and lots of garlic. Oh, and I'll need one egg.

"Dumplings take a long time to cook. How about we eat something easier for lunch and have dumplings for dinner?" Yichen suggested.

"It shouldn't take that long to cook. Plus they are delicious." Mochou said with a confident smile.

"Okay. I'll go get you an egg. Do you need anything else?"

"We have all the other ingredients, but I will need your help folding the dumplings. It's too difficult to fold dumplings one handed."