Chapter 74: Kind

"Yichen?"

Awoken by the sound of someone opening the door Mochou slowly turned in bed.

"Sorry dear, it's just me. Yichen and my husband needed to go make a house call. They'll be back soon." Ah Lam said.

"I hope nothing serious happened."

"The Woo family's patriarch threw out his back this morning. It happens from time to time due to his age. Are you thirsty? I've brought some tea."

Mochou sat up in bed and took the cup of hot tea from Ah Lam. The smell of chamomile wafted up from the cup. It was the same tea she always made the previous Mochou. He slowly sipped the tea. His body warming up as well as his heart.

"Ah Lam, I know I haven't said it much but I truly am grateful for all your help over the years. If there is anything I can do to pay you back even a little please tell me."

"My dear, as long as you are happy and healthy that will be payment enough. Now about your husband. Does he treat you well?"

"He does. He loves me and doesn't shy away from showing me how much every chance he gets." Mochou said. Ah Lam noticed how soft his eyes were as he spoke about Yichen. Satisfied she smiled back.

"I'm glad to hear it. You deserve to live a life full of love."

Mochou suddenly felt guilty. He agreed that after suffering a long time Mochou deserved a life filled with happiness. Unfortunately he wasn't the Mochou she was talking about. He couldn't deny his life wasn't the easiest but until he was a teen he had a loving family.

"I wonder if the original owner of this body also transmigrated into a new world? One were he is beautiful, loved, and happy." Mochou wondered. Noticing his poor mood Ah Lam touched Mochou's hand softly. She looked at Mochou with eyes full of worry and concern.

"Is there something that is troubling you?" She asked.

"No, I was just reminiscing about the past a little." Mochou cleverly said to hide his real thoughts.

"Forget about the past and focus on the future. I heard from your husband that you are pregnant."

"I am, but honestly it still feels surreal to me. I never imagined being a parent myself. If I didn't have Yichen's help and care I wouldn't be able to do it."

"I understand. When I was pregnant with child I couldn't believe it. It wasn't until I felt the baby move for the first time that I truly felt like a mother."

Behind Ah Lam's joyful words there was a subtle sadness. Mochou didn't know why she looked sad. He debated asking but eventually decided not to ask.

"If she wants to tell me, she will." He thought as he took another sip of tea.

The two sat and chatted a little longer until finally Yichen and Doctor Yen returned. The moment they did Yichen went directly to the little room to check on Mochou.

"You're awake. How are you feeling?"

"Fine. What about you? Is everything okay with the Woo family?" Mochou asked.

"It's fine. Doctor Yen prescribes some medication and I used my needles to relieve his back pain. He should be back to his usual self in a few days." Yichen reported.

"That's good."

"Let me put my things away and we can talk some more." Yichen said. With him back Ah Lam decided to leave and head home. Mochou on the other hand went to the bag he had Yichen bring him and took out his wood working tools and some wood.

"What do you plan on making?" Yichen asked.

"It's a gift." Was all Mochou was willing to admit.

The piece of wood he was using was the largest Yichen aloud him to carry. He had an idea on what to make for the couple. Yichen didn't pry but instead sat on the chair next to the bed. He took out a book on medicinal plants. It had been awhile so he decided he needed to refresh his memory so the next time he went to the forest he would be able to identify more of the flora.