Chapter 48: Worry

Knock... knock*

"...."

Knock... knock

"Dad! Someone! Open up!" Yichen shouted when no one answered the door.

Bang* rustle* creak*

"What the f*ck are you doing banging on the door in the middle of the night?" Yi Xuan asked. His eyes were half shut and his brow was furrowed in anger.

"Get dad. We caught some thieves trying to rob our home." Yichen said after pushing his way past his younger brother.

"Thieves? Who would try to rob your little hut?" Yi Xuan asked.

"Idiots that's who. Now hurry up and get dad. I'm going to prepare the mule cart."

"Why do you need the mule cart?"

"Unless you want to carry them over to the Yamen we need the mule cart." Yichen briefly said before running off to the little stable they had for the mule.

Mochou who hadn't followed was now left at the gate with Yichen's younger brother.

"You okay?" Yi Xuan sleepily asked.

"I'm fine."

"That's good. I'll go get my dad." Yi Xuan said before going inside to wake the rest of the family.

...

"Mochou, you must have been scared. Come, spend the night here where it's safe and leave dealing with those thieves to the boys." Yichen's mother said.

Because of all the noise it seemed everyone was woken up. Yichen, his brothers, and father all decided to head back to the hut and deal with the thieves. Whereas the wives seemed to be standing around worried.

"I appreciate the offer but I'd rather go home." Mochou politely declined.

"Nonsense. How will you get any sleep staying in that place after what happened. Stay here. You'll be safe."

"Mom, don't try to pressure Mochou into staying here. He's coming back with me." Yichen said.

"Yichen, think about his health. There is no way he will be able to sleep soundly in that hut after what happened. He needs somewhere safe." His mother insisted.

"Mom, he will feel safe because I'll be with him. We'll be together." Yichen said, but his mother wouldn't listen.

"You can be together here. Move back in. We have plenty of room."

"No, we like living on our own. We aren't moving in and we aren't spending the night." Yichen declared as he grabbed Mochou's hand and headed for the door.

"You ungrateful son! I'm only trying to help but you dismiss it like I'm the cause of your problems." She shouted in anger. Her words were like a spear to the heart. Yichen had no choice but to stop.

"Sigh... I'm sorry mom. I know you want the best for Mochou and I but we like it this way." Yichen said feeling guilty for his earlier attitude.

"Stay." His mother commanded in return.

"Sorry mom but we won't spend the night. We are going back to our home. Goodnight." Yichen said before once again turning to leave.

It wasn't long after he left that his brothers and father caught up with the mule cart.

"Yichen come here and tell me exactly what happened." His father said.

"There isn't much to say. Mochou and I were at home when two men entered our yard with the intent to rob us. We fought back and tied them up." Yichen said.