Chapter 17: Mom, Please!

The moment Yichen and his father got home they were confronted by his mother.

"Where have you been? We have been waiting for you so we can eat dinner together as a family." She exclaimed.

"I'm sorry mom but I had something important to do." Yichen sincerely said. He wanted her to be in a good mood for when they brought up the marriage to Mochou later so he tried his best to be good and obedient from the moment they entered the door .

Yichen's mother wanted to complain but before she could his father stepped in.

"Wife let us have dinner first. Afterwards Yichen and I have something important to discuss with the family." He said.

"What is there to discuss?" She asked.

"Wait until after dinner." Was all his father said.

Yichen's mother sighed hard before turning to head for the table full of food. Already seated were Yichen's two older brother's and their wives as well as his younger brother. His sister had already married and lived in town with her husband. They were also expecting a new addition soon because his older brother's wife was pregnant.

The family was large and it had always been important to his mother that they eat together.

The family ate and chatted as usual talking about their day and any news they wanted to share. Yichen however was way too nervous to engage in the usual dinner time banter. When asked a question or about his day his responses were simple nods or grunts.

"I wonder what Mochou ate for dinner tonight? I didn't see anything being cooked when I was inside and there also weren't any rabbits or quails. Did he not go into the forest to check the traps? If not will he only eat vegetables? That's not good he needs a more balanced diet. I should take him into the forest tomorrow."

Yichen's thoughts easily wandered. Until finally dinner was over and it was time to talk with his mother. Not only his mother but the rest of the family as well. Yichen's father was always stressing how a family is like a village and cannot thrive unless everyone works together and communicates.

"What's going on dad?" Yichen's eldest brother Yi Ming asked.

"Your brother Yichen has chosen a spouse he wishes to marry." Their father responded. He did not feel it was necessary to beat around the bush.

"He already has a wife that I have chosen and made  wedding arrangements for. He will marry her in two months time." Their mother stated.

"Mother, I already mentioned that I don't want to marry that woman." Yichen said.

"Nonsense. You will marry her and that is the end of this conversation." His mother proclaimed as she moved to leave.

"Mother, wait. Let us hear what Yichen has to say. Maybe the person he chose is also a good choice?" His second brother Yi Hao said.

"Better choice? Are you saying a 17 year old boy knows better than his mother?" She scoffed.

"That's not what second brother meant. But if it is someone Yichen has chosen wouldn't it make him happier if she was the one he married instead of a girl he has never met before?" The eldest brother Yi Ming added.

Yi Ming hadn't been able to choose his wife but their second brother Yi Hao had chosen his. And although the young lady Ke Xin wasn't in his opinion the best choice his brother was happy and that was what mattered the most. So he was hopeful that the person Yichen chose might also make his brother equally if not happier.

"I think it depends on who brother Yichen wants to marry? Big brother Yichen, tell us. Who do you want to marry?" The youngest brother Yi Xian asked.

"It's a GER from our village." Yichen said.