Chapter 55: Are You Angry?

Yichen handed out Mochou's pan fried buns but not until after he ate three of them himself.

"These are delicious. I like how crispy they are. Mochou you're an amazing cook." Yichen commented as he ate the buns.

"I'm glad you like my cooking but I've only been making simple dishes. I can't guarantee they'll always turn out well." Mochou said.

Mochou appreciated the compliment but he also worried about when the compliments would end. Compliments that would end because he ran out of new and delicious recipes.

Making stir fry, roast chicken, buns, noodles, dumplings, or fried rice were all easy things he learnt how to cook. They tasted good but the variety was limited. It wasn't like living in the modern world where the ingredients were plentiful and he could look up thousands of recipes at the click of a button.

"I look forward to tasting even the worst of your cooking.  As long as it's made with love I'm confident it will taste incredible." Yichen said before finally taking the buns out to the men working outside.

Heart pounding and left alone in the room Mochou got up to clean the kitchen. The words Yichen said kept running through his mind on repeat.  feeling that he was falling deeper in love with his husband. Mochou knelt down and held his bright red face in the palms of his hands.

"Too sweet. My husband is way too sweet."

...

After lunch Mochou grabbed a basket and placed the reeds and oleaster berries inside.

"What are you doing?" Yichen asked when he noticed Mochou packing up and getting ready to leave.

"I'm going to set some new traps." Mochou revealed.

"Now? Isn't it getting late?" Yichen asked while looking up at the sky.

"I don't plan on going far. Today I'll set the traps close by and tomorrow we can go further."

"Give me a minute to grab a few things."

"I'll wait for you outside the gate." Mochou said before grabbing the basket and heading for the gate.

Yichen sweeper in and  grabbed the heavy basket away from Mochou before leaving to get his own things.

"Yichen I can carry it myself."

"You're hurt and this is my job as your husband." Yichen said without even stopping to consider giving it back to him.

Yichen grabbed some more baskets to collect herbs while they were inside the forest. He knew he wouldn't be able to find thunder god vine. It only grew in the southern part of the country. Even so, a man could dream.
...

The two of them walked into the forest leaving Jie Hong and his men to continue working on the wall. As they walked the they had a chance to quietly chat.

"Mochou didn't you set the trap over that way last time?" Yichen asked when Mochou stopped and knelt down.

"Here is fine. It's better to change up the locations." Mochou said. However the way he said it in a flat cold voice worried Yichen.

"Mochou, are you upset?"

"Why would you think I'm upset?"

"So you aren't upset?"

"No." Mochou said with a pout.

"The thieves have been caught. No one will touch your traps this time."

"Are you sure? What if there are other men involved that we don't know about?"

"You can't think that way. If you only think of the bad you'll miss the good." Yichen said.