Chapter 87: Yichen Leaves

Mochou flopped down on the sofa while he waited for Yichen. It had been a long time since he had gotten so much exercise because of Yichen's constant love and care.

"I should start making dinner." Mochou thought as he lazed on the sofa. His motivation obviously lacking.

"What should I make... It's hot I could cook something that helps cool the body. Maybe some smashed cucumber salad? But that's at best a side dish. What should I make as the main?"

While Mochou was debating what to make Yichen had finished dealing with the roe deer outside and came back. He saw Mochou slumped on the sofa mumbling about something. Finding it cute Yichen stood there staring at him.

"He's right about me being overprotective. He needs to be able to leave the house and go to town. Going out alone might be too much for my heart to handle right now. But I have to find a way to change that... I need to give Mochou the freedom to do whatever he wants. He deserves it." Yichen mused.

"Yichen? How long have you been standing there?" Mochou asked when he saw him standing not far away.

"Not long. What were you thinking about?"

"Dinner. I'm going to make a cucumber salad and... I don't know." Mochou said at a loss.

"That sounds delicious. What about some quail skewers. When you made them last time they were delicious. We could also make some noddles, or stir fry eggplant." Yichen suggested. Living with Mochou, Yichen had come to enjoy helping with dinner. These daily conversations about what to make made him happy.

Mochou was satisfied and agree to make Yichen's suggestions. With the menu decided he stood up to start making dinner. Yichen looked at him tempted to do something else.

"I'll wait. Mochou's finally getting fat I can't be the reason he skips meals." Yichen thought as he glanced at Mochou's rounded cheeks.

...

After dinner Mochou walked over to the well while Yichen was doing the dishes.

"I'm almost done washing the dishes. You can wait inside." Yichen said.

"I'm not here to help. I've come to get some water." Mochou said with a playful smirk.

"Water for what?"

"A bath. I want to take a nice long one tonight." Mochou said.

"That does sound nice. I'll help you fill the tub when I'm done with this." Yichen said understanding Mochou's hint.

Since they moved into the new house Mochou had been taking what he called showers every night. To make the shower Mochou had Yichen buy a large barrel they set up above the tub. Coming out the bottom was a long piece of bamboo capped at the end. When the cap was removed water would flow out of it through dozens of holes. It was crude but an effective shower in Mochou's opinion.

Filling the barrel for a shower was much quicker than taking a bath. Allowing both Mochou and Yichen to wash every day. As for taking a bath, that was reserved for special nights when Mochou felt like it. The process took a lot longer and usually ended with Mochou feeling dirtier than when he went in.

With renewed energy Yichen finished all the dishes and rushed to start filing the tub. Because of its size it took nearly a dozen buckets of cold water and several pots of boiling water just to warm it up. Thankfully the stove helped to heat the water and keep it that way for an extended time.

By the time he went inside Mochou had already started the fire for the tub and put two large pots on the stove to boil. The heat generate was terrible and Mochou was dripping wet. Worried Yichen pulled him out of the kitchen.