49

The lunch hour had long passed, but Haya and Adi were still full of energy, arguing fiercely over their ongoing chess game.

They were both accusing each other of cheating, their voices getting louder by the minute. Raghav found it amusing to watch their quarrel, but Naina felt it was time to step in.

"Naina!" Adi and Haya exclaimed in surprise as she reached over and flipped the chessboard, putting an end to their argument, their voices in sync as if they weren't moments away from doing the same.

"What?" Naina asked, looking at them innocently.

"I was going to win." Adi mumbled sadly, "No you weren't, cheater!" Haya accused.

"Shut up, you were cheating," Adi replied.

"Acha, chal restart the game, let's see who is the actual winner." She replied.

"Roiyo mat haar gai to." He warned. (Don't cry if you end up losing)

Haya laughed mockingly, undeterred by Adi's warning. "Haan haan, we'll see who cries in the end," she retorted, setting up the chess pieces again.

Adi grinned mischievously, ready to resume the game. "Alright, let's do this."

As the game restarted, Raghav and Naina watched with amusement, "Would you like something? Juice?" Raghav asked Naina, since Haya and Adi's game didn't seem to end anytime soon.

"I'll have my cupcake, I'll get it, what do you want?" Naina asked, getting up.

Raghav's mother had departed to her room long ago, feeling exhausted from working hours in the kitchen because she wanted to cook for her son herself.

"I'll get it," He replied, getting up, and making space for her to walk, "How's everything going at work?" He asked as they walked to the kitchen.

"I like it, we're working on a new project, I'm halfway through it already, the research part is probably the reason why I'm halfway through in like three days." Naina replied, "And the vision voyage project coming up? God, I'm so excited, I want to be a part of it so bad! I'm trying to..." She trailed off, smiling sheepishly, "I'm so sorry for the unasked rant."

"It's okay, complete it," Raghav replied.

"Really?"

He nodded appreciatively, waiting for her to continue as they entered the kitchen, he took out a jug full of juice, pouring himself a glass before turning to her.

"Okay, so where was I?" She asked before continuing, "Right, I'm trying so hard to impress my manager, last week two of the employees were shifted to another department, and I definitely don't want that." She huffed.

"You like the work you're doing at the moment?"

"I mean...I would love to do something different now, it's been two years in the same department, and I'm still waiting for a promotion, not just the salary increment." She shrugged.

"Forward your last project to me." He replied.

"Wait no, I'm not telling you this for favours." Naina widened her eyes, "Did I come off as that? Geez, I promise I wasn't looking for any favours, I'm happy-"

"Naina, I'm not doing anyone any favours, I just want to see your work." Raghav interrupted her speech, "Let it be, can you help me with something?" He asked, peeking outside, both of them were still busy in the game.

"Me? Okay." She shrugged, not sure as to what he might need her help in.

Raghav slid his phone from his pocket, unlocking the password-protected photo album before turning the screen toward her.