69

Some called it a massacre. Some called it The Culling. But the ones involved called it mercy. The Death Eaters that ran amuck and terrified anyone that thought differently than themselves had been put to rest.

For a while I slaughtered them myself. I enjoyed the way they begged me to stop. Mattheo helped of course but that man is loyal only to me and that is how I liked it.

The first time I'd killed a man as he begged for breath had been that night four months ago, Theodore's father. It hurt me then. It swelled inside my chest and like a drop of water in the ocean it rippled through me. Then it stopped. I saw him begging, heard his words but it had stopped hurting my heart as the shadows curled and whipped around me.

The second time, The Dark Lord or, Tom Riddle, I wasn't exactly myself. There was a sense of disconnect as that knife slid through the soft skin of his throat and covered the floor and his body in blood. Even as I saw it once I was back in control of my own body it was a nothing inside me.

I put that nothingness down to the fact that the Dark Lord had tormented me and many others for years but that was before the third. Theodore.

He was a very close friend for years and years. He had come to every birthday party I had and he called my father, father just like I did. But there was that nothingness again. I hadn't let him suffer. It was quick for Theodore. He was hauled down into the dungeons where we were held, where Mattheo and I had sent everyone that remind loyal to the Dark Lord. I apparated into the dungeon and stopped his heart as he slept. I had wanted to make the reasons for his death known to him but I decided that what I had done was mercy, and it would do.

There was that nothingness once again. I knew there was no way I could've disconnected from killing him and yet I still felt absolutely nothing.

That was the price I would pay. Death had lent my a small part of her power and I had used it knowing it would cost me. I remembered what it felt like to see Mattheo. I remembered how he once made my heart swell with happiness and my cheeks red when he flirted with me but not anymore.

I remembered how it felt, so I played along but there is still so much nothing.

Perhaps this is how the Dark Lord felt. Turned macabre by his thirst for power. Perhaps as he split his soul apart he lost what it felt like to have one. If he was still live would he know this feeling of nothingness like I do?

Is that what was now missing?

Was I without a soul?

Did being without a soul make this nothingness in my chest so familiar?

I stood from the throne of stone that I often resided and Mattheo followed. After the trials and the fifty plus Death Eaters and Dark Lord enthusiasts that we had eliminated there was far less too be done. I was far less busy and the small court I now resided over had become filled with such trivial matters.

To the people with the issues it was world ending but to me, it was brain numbing.

The next step in the plan is to reconnect the Wizarding schools and the world in general to the sacred 28 that resided here with me. I let my friends decide how to split there homes. Whether they stay there and maintain the relationship with there family, or decide to make themselves the sole successor was none of my business. Everyone would be given a full, unmonitored choice. Something nobody had a say in or could change.

"How would you like a bath?" Mattheo spoke, he shook my out of my thinking. He hovered over my shoulder as we walked and I hummed in agreement.

He had latched onto me after his fathers death. Wherever I was he made sure to follow. I loved Mattheo dearly, at least I remember how it felt to love him like that.

This void inside me would turn me black inside and I knew that. I'm not sure everyone else did. I did my best at plastering that mask across my face as my heart withered and died inside me. The sun was what I missed the most.

I was always a fair skinned girl but, I loved the warmth of the sun. It would tingle as it moved across my face and I always smiled as I twirled and twirled in the summer sun but now. Now when I stood in the sun I felt nothing.

If I stood under it for too long I still burnt and it wasn't like I had become vampiric and withered to ashes in the rays of the golden orb but it didn't fell warm.

I missed my soul. I had always felt a little less then most, or far too much when I was overwhelmed but I had never felt void like this.

"Come on, Princess" Mattheo cooed. He pulled me into the bathroom and the steam of the bathtub rolled down the sides of the clawfoot tub. It smelt amazing, like sandalwood and vanilla.

I smiled at him as he undressed me and pulled my under after him. The warm water engulfed me and I held myself under it a little bit longer then normal. Until my lungs felt like they would pop and I remerged gasping for air.

My vision had become spotty and the last thing I remember hearing was Mattheo calling my name before I saw her again. Younger me and he hand was extended for me to take. When I did, it felt warm like the sun, like that golden light was dancing across my skin again.