54

I take another step and the real unicorn rears back, slightly weary. This disguise isn't going to last forever. I edge closer, slowly walking, never stopping. I have to trap this damn beast.

"Come on." I grunt out, frustration taking over the sensible part of my brain that would've stayed quiet.

I know now that it should've either been me or Pansy that approached this magnificent creature, sending Matty had put it on edge and now I may not be able to trap it. I gulped as I slowly raised my wand. I had to disrupt the illusionment charm to cast aresto momentum a spell that would stop the unicorn from moving.

we had already discussed this prior.

"So when I cast aresto memento, some one needs to either trap it further or man up and fucking kill it." I say, punching my right hand with my left.

I look up and the five people that stare at me have very sullen faces.

"Guys this isn't up for debate, we have to bleed it!" I snap, my eyes narrowing and scanning the people around me.

"Blaise?" I cross my arms and raise my chin, waiting for his response.

"Me? Yeah right, I'll choke! Call me when you need me to fly my nimbus and smack a bludger." He crosses his arms, his expression mirroring my own.

I roll my eyes but continue on, "Berkshire?"

"Me?" He chokes on his breath, "I can try, but I can not imagine staying on task for long enough to be able to lure a damn unicorn to its death!"

"Pansy?" I try, desperate for someone to step up. She only shakes her head, her eyes closed.

Okay, new plan.

"Can any of you cast aresto memento then?" A clear solution, I'll kill the damn thing.

"I can." "Yep"

Both Mattheo and Blaise answer at the same time, I nod, taking my lower lip into my mouth.

"So either one of you needs to get close enough to cast that charm, then I'll do what I have to." I avoid eye contact but I am acutely aware of all of the eyes that have found there way to me. I try not to think about it.

We eventually settled on Mattheo being the one to approach the unicorn but he still tried to pussy out last second and make me do it. I completely understand these people are here to help me and are putting there lives in danger for me but, seriously.

I notice Mattheo has begun to inch out of the bush, clearly trying to get the plan back on track. I look over at him and he nods, I nod back at him and stop my advancing. I stomp my gold hoof into the soil and huff, like I saw the unicorn do. My distraction works and the unicorn looks over at me. It extends its neck and I see that he is attempting to sniff me.

Mattheo gets closer and closer and I keep stomping and huffing to keep the unicorns attention until he is close enough to cast.

"Aresto Memento" Mattheo shouts, the unicorn rears back and whinnies before turning and running away.

The yellow light pulses from his wands tip and the unicorn freezes mid air, its two front feet digging into the wet soil and the back two kicked out from under it. Even its mane is caught mid action freezing in its windswept style.

I drop my illusion charm and wave Blaise towards us.

"That was genius Cerci!" Pansy claps her hands together as she jogs over.

"We don't have much time, when Mattheo's charm wears off, you need to cast one in it's place Blaise" In the stress of the situation Pansy's compliment falls on deaf ears but I do feel her kind words lift my spirits slightly.

Blaise nods and I can see the physical strain that Mattheo's face is displaying, clearly the unicorn is much stronger than any of us had imagined. I grimace at what I know needs to be done.

"This is going to be nearly impossible and it could corrupt me, just know that we have to do this and even if I am dying you need to trust I am strong enough to do this." I twist my head from side to side, jumping a few times in place. I left out a breath of fresh air and flex my hands as I raise my wand.

Something this pure requires a deadly spell and I can't think of anything other than the killing curse. So, that's what I cast.

I am becoming strangely accustomed to the deep electric green lightning that shoots from the tip of my wand. Unusually, as the green rushes to strike the still unmoving unicorn I see the blast of Shinny silver and gold that encases the two of us. All my surroundings freeze, including my friends and the usual crackling of nothing that the Killing Curse creates there is a faint humming.

The world is so bright that I struggle to keep my eyes open, they shut against my best attempts and I an suddenly gulping air. It's so heavy and hot all of a sudden and I can barely think straight.

"Why kill me?" There's a wispy and grating voice that speaks suddenly. I never lower my wand but I manage to peak a single eye open.

"I don't have a choice" I grit out, gulping oxygen down my throat.

"We always have choices" It hisses, the tone of the voice is now far more annoyed.

"That's what I keep saying" I am pushed lower, I plant my front foot and lower myself to one knee. I'm only speaking quietly, there is no way anyone would be able to hear me but the voice responds.

"You kill me, something so good and pure, for you... for the darkness that pulses through you?" There's a huffing and I realise that if I don't end this soon I am going to faint.

My power flutters and I see the unicorn move slightly closer to the tree line before a second yellow light bursts through the strange bubble that unicorn casts. The world freezes again.

"Why should you live and me perish?" I yell, my voice is horse and it comes out almost like a growl. "Why does no one ever consider what I fucking want?"

There's a whinny, the unicorn's bright cascade of gold and silver stutters and dims. I can feel the smile that comes over my features at my imminent success.

"You will rid the world of good, you will taint the very earth you walk on." It hisses, the voice panicked and rushed. The gold and silver light dims again, I see my friends move again as they're released from it's strange hold.

"Good think you wont be around to see it then!" I am given a mental image of myself, almost like I am looking from the unicorns eyes.

My clothes have been torn from the sheer impact of magic. The tatters of my sweater billowing behind me, my red hair waves like a flag, whipping wildly around my face. My eyes are clenched shut, my teeth gritted and blood is pouring from my nose.

I see the way Mattheo grabs for me, he rips his hands away in pain. The once unmarred skin of his palms is burnt, like he had touched flames of a roaring fire.

Seeing him grunt in pain as the rest of my friends turn and pale away from the magnitude of the magic pouring from our connected streams, I know it's now or never.

The scream that rips through me tears at my throat and a metallic taste graces my lungs. I have to kill this unicorn before it kills me.

"Noooooo" It shrieks. The light fades from silver and gold to a yellow before it dies all together. There is a wave of power that bursts from me and that familiar wave of raw magic shoves everyone I can see meters backwards.

Only when the light has faded completely and the unicorn is laying, unmoving in the muddy dirt, then I hear the scream stop. I gasp for air and fall on my backside, one leg under me. I huff once more, begging for oxygen and I fall backwards into the mud.

It is so cold. I cough once and then nothing.