48

I didn't realise I'd fallen asleep until the shrill screech of Pansy woke me up with a start. I had been hunched over half against that wall, and half against Mattheo as we slept.

I slowly took in the room at the strange angle, Mattheo had abruptly stopped petting my hair like he was. As I sat up, the room's axis spinning until it was righted, my brows furred. Why did Pansy look so sacred?

Deep, resonating laugher filled my ears as the fog of being asleep finally cleared. There were Death eaters in here with us. I tried to get to my feet but Matty was holding me down, I was panicked and tried to pull myself from him desperately.

"Let me go" I spoke, trying to stay quiet so I didn't draw attention, hoping to maintain the element of surprise.

I froze when I saw him, Draco, standing in the doorway of the room. His tall, slender figure that I'd know anywhere drew all my attention. He was here, in front of me and I had my wand. I grunted and tugged myself from Mattheo harder.

I wanted to watch the life drain from his eyes. For lying to me for years, for the confusing emotions I felt, for invading my mind over and over again with out my permission, for taking my choice.

"Let. Me. Go." I gritted out through my teeth. Ripping my arm free Mattheo flailed to grab it again.

I knew deep down that he was trying to save my from myself, but deep down Cerci wasn't in control of my body. I was. The anger, the betrayal, the disbelief that Draco could hurt me over and over like he had.

I turned to look at Mattheo and his eyes were pleading, I knew he was saving from myself. But what if I wanted to let myself turn and twist into something that could avenge me, did I not deserve to be avenged?

I grunted as I came to my full height. My eyes had been enough to let Mattheo know that this is what I demanded he do, he let me go.

"Malfoy" I shout. All the heads in the room turn to me and I heard Pansy's choked sob. The Death Eaters had forcibly removed her from her spot on the wall, where we'd all fallen asleep.

Draco's head slowly turned to see me, knowing it was me that called his name. I could see the way his eyes searched mine, hoping that the last invasion of privacy had aided in making him seem innocent.

It hadn't.

"You coward." I take a step and notice the tugging of something at my legs. When I looked down there were dark purple whisps of magic that curled around my feet and I immediately snapped my attention to Draco, but his hands were wandless.

"Cerci, please" Mattheo begged. I know that if I took the time to think about what I was doing, I wouldn't be able to do it. "He will kill you, Princess."

I clenched my eyes shut as I argued with myself internally. It would be so simple to end Draco now as he stood in front of me but I was sure that the Dark Lord would kill me if I slaughtered his star pupil.

Did I care about being murdered for taking revenge?

I glanced back to Matty and his large, rounded eyes were the reason I'd decided that I did care. I huffed in annoyance, I wanted to bleed Malfoy.

When I'd turned back to look at the man's face, his knowing smile made me cast aside all caution. My blood boiling in my veins I raised my wand wordlessly. Draco's smile got even wider and the words were on my lips, seconds away from spilling when I finally saw it.

That faint blue shimmering that slowly moved across his body. He wasn't really here. The Dark Lord was baiting me into casting the killing curse so he had a reason to prove me insane and most likely kill me.

I inhaled so deeply my chest widened and then I slowly, slowly, let it back out. I had almost fallen into the trap soi clearly set for me.

"Move it girl." I watched as not only Pansy but everyone was stood up and moved out of the room. I was grabbed and dragged out of the room after them. Mattheo walked behind us, head hung. Like this was his own type of torture, forced to do nothing.

There was a strange sense of resolve that come over me, like a calming waved of cold water. Ripping my emotions from me as it chilled me to my very core. I felt it at its strongest when I crossed the same threshold as the maze had lead me to.

There was a sudden excitement that flashed in my brain as I looked around the arena, the Death Eaters filling the crowd. I squashed it down inside me as the gut wrenching fear took over. A much more expected emotion.

I looked down at me feet as the crowd silenced, the Dark Lord clearly making his appearance. I looked through the curtain of hair that had fallen over my face at the people next to me.

"When a Death Eater is weak, myself included, we must feed ourselves to aid the strong magic that sits within us." The Dark Lord's voice rang around the arena and I realised, I don't seem to cower under it anymore.

"There is something so pure and good in the world that it's very existence is a mockery of the Dark Arts. We once were hunted," His voice got louder, "Now, now my loyal servants, now we hunt." His yellowing teeth and menacing cackle filled my head and I finally looked up.

His arms were raised and he was laughing so loud that his body was shaking. The sandy pit of the arena before us transformed into a dark, damp forest floor. A spitting image of the Forbidden Forest.

"Hunt for the purest heart and tear it from this world." He shouted over the cheers of the arena, Death Eaters were grunting in pure excitement as six of us were slowly lowered into the foliage. I never took my eyes from the podium that Draco stood on, next to the Dark Lord.

He lowered with a smile on his face.