53

There's a faint ringing in my ears, it's bouncing off the sides of my skull and I can practically feel the tension headache. I barely register the hands on my arm and when I turn it's Theo of all people, his eyes are wide and his expression seems almost... excited.

"You'd truly kill him?" Theo's eyes narrowed for a second, like he was searching my face for my answer.

"Yes." I didn't hesitate, Hell, I barely needed time to think about it. I would be the one to put an end to Draco Malfoy. I know the unforgivable curses require a level of mental persuasion but, Malfoy has tormented me plenty.

"Merlin, I could go for a joint right now." Enzo groaned. When I turned to look at him he was rubbing his temples, this sort of serious stuff always took a lot out of Enzo.

"Oh yes a joint would be-" Blaise's voice was cut off by Pansy's loud 'Shhhh'.

"Whatever you heard it's gone now, that was stupid loud Pansy!" I whisper shouted at her.

"Now look who's being loud" She whisper yelled right back at me.

I rolled my eyes but the faint rustling of the nearby shrubs had them widening. I glanced around the group of us and mouthed, 'Go!' gesturing my hands to the shrubs we had once all been hiding behind.

All six of us bolted for the greenery, shuffling foot falls and grunts as we dove behind it could've scared off the creature that emerged but, it didn't seem to deter it.

There the majestic beast stood, bathing in the moonlight, it chuffed as it lent down to the water. It sniffed twice and then began to lap at the waters surface. It's silver coat danced in my eyes, reflecting the moonlight that streamed through the trees. It was hard to look away.

It stomped a solid gold hoof in the muddy soil. It's hooves seemed like melted down gold ore, they were so vibrant. It had random tuffs of shimmery silver hair that capped each leg. The awkward and gangly appearance along with its underdeveloped horn told me it was about four or five years old.

It's mane flowed elegantly down its back, the hair a slightly lighter colour of silver and for a second Draco's eyes flashed into my mind, his face smiling down at me. I felt my heart flutter and then clench in my chest. I had always wanted that boy to be mine and I was very clearly still suffering heartache, how cliché.

It felt strange to have such a normal, human emotion when the Dark Lord himself had challenged me and five of my closest friends to slaughter a unicorn, collect its blood and return it to him most likely for him to drink. The prize for doing all of this, my hand in marriage. But here I was, heart clenching to a halt behind my rib cage, just like a normal girl.

The unicorn in front of me looked up at the bush we hid behind, it felt like it knew something impure hid behind the green, round leaves of the shrub. I gulped. If the Unicorn bolted we would never catch up to it, they are more than capable of outrunning werewolves, the six of us would be rendered useless.

I am suddenly reminded that I have no fucking idea what I am doing, I may have read one or two books on unicorns but that doesn't exactly make me able to capture this thing. I turned to look around at the group of us and when I eye contact with Mattheo, he looks at me expectantly. I raise my arms and fur my eyebrows, "What?" I mouth at him.

He gestures towards the unicorn and mouths, "Go!" at me. His eyes shift back and forth between me and the unicorn.

I scoff, "You go!" I mouth to him, rolling my eyes and stomping my foot.

"Me?" He gestures to himself.

"Yes, you!" I nod aggressively.

His shoulders drop and he rolls his head back as he groans ever so softly. He looks back at me and I nod towards the unicorn. He mouths a final, "Fine!" and then slowly and silently steps out form behind the bush.

He has both hands raised and remains dead silent. The unicorn doesn't even notice him approaching it until a particular dry path of leaves crunch under his back foot. I cringe at the loud sound and I see Mattheo freeze, his teeth clenched and eyes squeezed closed.

"Good Horsey" He tuts and I fight the strong urge to roll my eyes and his idiocy. His arms still raised he takes another step and the unicorn huffs, clearly distressed. I can see the way it's back flank muscle tenses and flexes under its shimmering coat.

Shit, it's going to run.

"Come back" I hiss, trying to keep my voice quiet but loud at the same time.

Mattheo tenses and starts to turn around, he's moving too quickly, the unicorn tenses again and huffs a second time by the shore of the lake.

"Stop!" I shout my voice at full volume and I can see the way Mattheo tenses, his shoulders at his ears. I mentally scold myself for shouting that loud and when the words left my lips Blaise grabbed me by the shoulder and wrapped his hand around my mouth.

I shake him off and grab my wand, I cast an Illusion charm over myself, praying I look like a baby unicorn.I glance down at what were my legs, two thin but tall shinny gold horse feel are there instead.

Okay, this is a good start.

I move forward slowly and lower my head, shaking it to replicate what I assume a horse would do. The older unicorn looks at me and then back at Mattheo, he turns slowly to look at me and his eyes widen wider than I thought possible.

"It's me, now leave" I hiss at him as I slowly walk past his figure. To a human eye the illusion warps and distorts too often to pass as a baby unicorn for more than a second. But, I just need to get close enough to the beast to trap it.