16

"Okay, before dinner, lets go to the courtyard, I need to talk to you." Mattheo suddenly has my hands in his and I watch the way his thumbs stroke the back of my hands.

It's such a sweet act but almost everything Matty does, is. He has always been so kind and gentle with me and the nickname, Princess, fits so well when it comes from his mouth.

"Are you taking me out under the stars to confess your undying love for me?" I Joke, looking up at Mattheo and he chuckles but he is too busy looking over his shoulder to give me an actual answer for why he is dragging me outside.

He pushes open the heavy stone door and moves some of the vines aside as he pulls me into a part of the castle I rarely see, a Kelpie head made from stone that spits water out of its mouth into the pond below.

"Mattheo?" I ask as he stops us abruptly.

"Look, I don't have long, okay?" He checks the coast is clear behind us and casts a silencing charm over us. My eye browns knit together, and I watch, confused as the purple veil falls over us.

"Matty?" I take his shoulder in my hand and try to focus his attention on me, his eyes meet mine and I can see the way his eyes soften.

"Cerci, I don't know how to say this, but I know that you deserve the truth." He inhales roughly through his nose. I can't help the confusion on my face. Was this what they were arguing about in the library?

"You are so special, and I know that if we were in another life, you'd be mine. Fuck, if I could, I'd hold you so tight and protect you, but my dad..." he trails off, and it looks like it physically hurts him to get the words out.

He clenches his fists at his side and takes my hand in his. His fingers wrap around my chin, and he lifts my face to look at his. His chocolate brown eyes swirl as he fights whatever it is that is stopping him from saying what he needs to say.

"Princess, If I could take you from all of this, if I could've stopped this. I need you to know I would've." He smiles at me and the power in his voice, and the way it trembles slightly as he speaks is heart breaking. I can hear the strain in his voice as he tries to push on.

"Draco is dangerous, I need you to understand that he is twisted" He watches my face as I take in the information.

I open my mouth to speak but he stops me by talking first, "I know this sounds like jealous rambling, but trust me Princess, he is dangerous."

Mattheo doubles over and a yell falls from his lips, my hands are on his back as I try to make heads or tails of what is happening.

"Mattheo, I don't-" I'm cut off again, his eyes desperate as he grabs my shoulders.

"It doesn't have to make sense, but he is dangerous Cerci!" His eyes clench closed as he shouts in pain again. His body clearly disagreeing with the words he is saying, the Unbreakable Vow is written all over this.

Mattheo is risking his life telling me this.

"Matty, stop talking" I grab for him, but his mouth is still opening and closing like a fish, gasping for air. He isn't forming words anymore but every now and then I can make out sounds in his voice.

"Mattheo!" I warn. I grab my wand out of my robe and wordlessly cast a silencing charm on Mattheo.

His eyes search mine frantically and I drop to my knees in front of his doubled over form.

"Matty, I'm here, I know it hurts, you have to stop thinking about it and thinking about telling me." My hands are around his wrists that are clinging to his knees to stop himself from keeling over.

He watches me in front of him and he breathes in slowly through his nose. I can see the way his eyes take in that I'm in front of him and he relaxes. I can see the emotion in his eyes, and I release the charm keeping his mouth closed.

"Matty, I have so much love for you, and I know that we'd be great together but I also know that we'd tear each other apart." I chuckle and I can see the way Mattheo's eyes water just a little. Almost like he knows I have no idea what he is talking about.

"I know that Draco is bad for me, and frankly, I don't even see us being together." I stop myself as Mattheo rolls his eyes, it's very apparent he knows something that he just can't tell me.

"Look, Matty, I love you okay, and I know that you'd jump in front of the bullet that would hurt me, and I would absolutely do the same for you." He wraps a hand around my chin, and he locks my eyes to his.

"I'd never ask you to and of you did, I'd find a way to bring you back to life and punish you for disobeying me." His voice is weak, but it feels good to hear him speak.

His eyes harden suddenly and it's almost like he can hear or see something that I can't.

"Matty?" I ask, furring my brows together as I grab for him to stay with me.

"I have to leave you now, just go to dinner and act like this didn't happen, please, Princess" He pleads, his hands wrapped around my mine. He kisses me softly on the nose and then my forehead.

When I open my eyes and stand shakily from my knees, I can't wipe the look of befuddlement off my face. The stone door grinds open, and Pansy comes out into the opening.

I turn to look at her and she can tell instantly that there's something wrong.

"Bub?" She asks her tone so gentle and unlike her usually strong and loud voice. She moves towards me and wraps her arms around me.

Pansy has always been a little bit shorter than me but she ankers me to the world as she holds me tight.

"I have to tell you something crazy, but I believe him Pans" I choke out. Watching Mattheo be essentially tortured is catching up quickly.

"I believe him" Pansy shushes me and holds me tight, running a hand through my hair as I cry.