50

I am careful with my steps, the dark brown mud slowly covered the black of my Mary Janes and I wish I was able to change into boots or sneakers before this trial. This line of thought did very little to distract me as the group argued behind me about being right or wrong.

"There is no way he expects us to catch a unicorn, let alone kill it!" Theodore half growls at Blaise, shoving his shoulder. Blaise grunted and lifted his wand as his fist clenched, like he was trying to hold himself back from retaliating.

"Why are you under that assumption, the Dark Lord isn't exactly understand and forgiving" Blaise held his arms still by his side, the muscles tensing under his flesh, rippling and relaxing.

I was standing in a puddle, if that what you would call this. Maybe if I stood more to the right, maybe it's too late to save these shoes.

"It's unreasonable, this is ridiculous!" Theo threw his hands above his head and turned away huffing, his shoulders expanding as he inhaled.

"He tortured his own son." Blaise shot back and I heard the words get caught in his throat, knowing it would be triggering for Mattheo.

The leaves under my feet seem familiar, I know I've seen this particular pattern of leaf before. The thin and dense small leaves that seem almost like a feather duster. Ah, Redwood trees. Now the mud made sense.

"Sorry-" Blaise tried but Mattheo cut him off.

"No, no you're right." Mattheo brushed past me and I looked up from my feet. I was struggling to breathe and I think I have only just realised.

I raise a hand to my chest and sure enough my heart is beating so fast I can't really catch a breath. Was it always this hot?

"My father is a maniac, truthfully I'm surprised he didn't just kill us all before we could even do the first trial. I'm surprised we are still all standing, you should be thanking the Death Eaters for enjoying this fucked up scene, otherwise, we'd be punished for disobeying."

The Redwood trees are always so tall, so calm and unwavering, reliable.

"So then, to live through this, we need to kill a unicorn." Blaise crossed his arms over his chest, his words final.

"Cerci..." I felt a soft hand wrap around my shoulder, but it felt distant, far away. Now that I had a chance to catch my breath and I could slowly take in everything that had happened. I didn't want to think anymore.

I turn towards the voice of Pansy and smile but I know it wont reach my eyes.

"You okay?" She asks, tilting her head to the side slightly.

I nod and widen my smile, "Of course, just thinking." Not a direct lie.

"Any ideas on how to kill a unicorn?" Blaise asked, moving towards me slightly. My legs tensed quickly before relaxing as he approached, like I wanted to run away.

There was an eerie hotting from the trees above us and I lifted my gaze to see if I could see the owl above us.

"People have been trapping and tracking them for years, Draco's wand has a unicorn core, it shouldn't be too tough, just have to know what we are looking for." My eyes never leave the tree line. I wonder if the owl will be white, or brown.

"Draco's wand, how do you even know that?" Mattheo narrowed his eyes.

"Same way I know what you all have..." Surely this damn bird will be here somewhere.

I hear the hoot again and the shuffling of feet coming closer. This damn owl, maybe it's the family owl, maybe I can send a letter to my father, tell him I love him and I want him to hug me. Godrick, I want a hug so bad.

A hand grabs my arm and I tense up so quickly it hurts. My eyes close and I whimper just enough for the person that was holding me to let go. That fucking owl, it isn't here.

"C?" Blaise voice cuts through my string of swear words that I am mentally throwing at the owl for fucking with me.

I look down at him, everyone in front of me is staring at me. Watching me, trying to work me out. I'm crying?

Why?

My hands rub at my face quickly, wiping the tears from my face and I don't even realise that I'd moved out of Mattheo's reaching grasp until he lowers his arm.

Why the fuck am I crying? I don't have time for this.

I close my eyes and shake my head slightly from side to side. I huff and when I open my eyes I try to focus my sporadic thoughts.

"Unicorn tracking, should be pretty similar to anything else, look for hoof prints, we should start at fresh water." I can hear how the tears have affected my voice, but I am just going to pray that no one will ask about it.

I start to walk in the direction I think water is, the trees seem thicker to our left. I can hear footsteps as I'm followed and I try not to think about how dirty my favourite pair of shoes must be getting.

"Cerci," Mattheo speaks softly, "Are you okay?" He grabs my arm again and I have to stop myself from physically removing it.

"I'm fine Matty, I just want this over with. I'm starting to think this was all a huge mistake..." I sniffle and sallow the lump in my throat.

"There is no way this will ever feel like a mistake." His voice almost convinces me, but the more I think about the more torn I seem to get.

"Let's not talk about it." I sigh and quicken my pace.