41

This one's for you @Karmaisakat. Love reading your comments!!

It was hard to make myself focus on the task at hand. All I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and pray that this wasn't real, that I would wake up and turn over in my four poster Hogwarts bed. Stretch the stiffness from my limbs and say good morning to Pansy.

We had at least bumped into her at some point in the maze, Theodore and Draco no where to be seen and I am silently losing my mind that I haven't seen Mattheo either. Pansy was a mess of tears and blubbering, her beast was an Inferi.

It had taken her longer than she wanted to admit to remember her training and use a fire spell to injure the creature. But, it took her even longer to tear her eyes away from her ex-girlfriends face.

The Slytherin girl's features were so soft and peaceful, Pansy never remembered her looking like that when she was alive.

We were both leaning on one another as we walked across the scorching sand. Her sniffles had stopped what felt like a couple thousand paces ago, but she still held me. We needed each other for support.

"I'd never imagined something this corrupt would be forced upon you, Angel." She sighs and holds my hand, our fingers intertwining. "I don't know why I had so much faith in... men." She says the word 'men' with so much distaste, she sticks her tongue out at the end of her sentence. Almost like the word tastes bad.

"I can't believe this is only trial one." Lorenzo groans, his feet slapping as he walks. Clearly exhausted.

"Please refrain from whining again." Blaise wrapped his hand around Enzo's shoulders and then shoved him away as they both chuckled.

We all stopped walking immediately. The loud, piercing screech erupted through the maze. I could tell that Pansy was bracing to sprint at the first sign of trouble, but the screech sounded far away.

"That sounds like someone else's problem..." I shrugged and kept walking, beyond desperate for this fucked up trial to be over.

"As someone that had to deal with my 'problem' on my own... rude." Pansy sneered at my coldness. But, I couldn't let myself feel anything, it would all pour out of me and drown me as it pushed everyone else away. I just stayed silent.

"I can't believe of all animals, mine had to be a massive wolf" Enzo huffed, his shoulder's slumping.

Blaise chuckled, "That's right, I'd forgotten about that!" He ruffled Enzo's hair. Enzo glared at him and shoved him hard to the right, he stumbled into us.

"What?" I questioned.

"You didn't hear," Blaise was seeking refuge form Enzo's glare behind me as he spoke, "This twit and Theo snuck out of the castle and into the Forbidden Forest late one night in winter, Theo heard the howling and ran leaving our friend here to figure it out on his own."

I stared at Enzo wide eyed and his cheeks were bright red, he was clearly embarrassed by his lack of courage.

"I have been scarred for life, it's not funny Blaise." Enzo grunts, "My bogart was a wolf for Goddrick's sake" He lunged for Blaise, probably to hit him but Blaise dodged and grab Pansy's shoulders, moving her in front of him.

"You wouldn't hit a girl would you mate?" Blaise laughed, his face alight with a smile.

"Let me go, Blaise" Pansy shrieked, fighting in Blaise's hold.

I laughed. I couldn't help it. They were being absolutely ridiculous. We were facing impending doom and yet, they still bickered like we did in school only months ago. So, I laughed.

Blaise turned to look at me, chuckled at the red in my face from laughing so hard and then shoved Pansy at Enzo. Enzo caught her before she fell, taking him with her and Blaise grabbed for me. I laughed again, even harder, and squirmed in his hold.

"That girl, I'd hit" Enzo moved around Pansy and Pansy grabbed at Enzo's shoulder, giggling and begging him not to hit me. My sides felt like they were splitting form laughing so hard.

Then the screeching bellowed again, closer than last time. We all froze. Blaise let go of me slowly and we all turned to the direction it came from.

The eerie silence that followed helped me think. Blaise was terrified of snakes, I remember him almost stepping on one in the garden back at my family Manor. If it still was my family manor.

"You still scared of snakes?" I asked over my shoulder and he turned to look at me. HIs eyes narrowing slightly.

"Why?" He seemed so cautious.

"Because I am terrified of spider..." I trailed off. My fingers rubbed over my face as I thought about everything a little too quickly.

"Not sure why that is important, but yes I am still scared of snakes." Blaise finished.

"But you're a Slytherin!" Pansy exclaimed, her eyes wide with disbelief.

"And you're loud!" He shouted back.

"Guys, look." Enzo's hand shot out and both Blaise and Pansy turned to look at what he was pointing at. Me.

"She's got that look, like she's figuring it out." Pansy tilts her head slightly to one side as she spoke. Her soft, black bob fanning over her shoulder as she did.

"Our fears..." I mutter, slowly putting it all together. "This trial is escaping our fears." I say it with an uncertain finality. Like I still doubt myself.

Blaise smirks at me knowingly. He knows I'm most likely right.

"I am terrified of my parents finding out about my same sex partners... does that still count..." Pansy's gaze never leaves the floor.

"Yeah, Pans of course." I reassure her, rubbing my hand along her arm.

"Anyone know what Theo is afraid of?" Enzo asks slowly backing away.

We all turn to see Theodore Nott sprinting towards the group of us as fast as he can.