27

I fell out of the fireplace that connected the Hogwarts Floo powder system to Hogsmeade. I rolled to the side quickly at the sound of a male voice, grunting. I got out of the way before Mattheo could fall right where I had.

It was still Summer and the heat was definitely going to be a help as we tried to work out how exactly we were to evade the entirety of the Death eaters.

I double checked my wand was tucked against my thigh, but I wielded Daphne's wand tight in my right hand. It hit me like a smack to the face and my eyes widened as I could do nothing but stare at the foreign wand in my hand.

My parents had sold me to the Dark Lord, Draco won and claimed ownership over me, I lost it and attacked people that I had considered friends, and now I was on the run from the most notorious group of dark wizards to every grace the earth.

I didn't even realise I was crying until Mattheo's face came into view. His hand was on my cheek and he was using his other arm to help me stand from my knees.

"It's okay, come on Princess" His hand wraps around mine and I struggle to formulate thoughts as he drags me through the crowd.

Mattheo looks back at me as we push through the busy streets and I even though I have no idea what I'm doing or why I ran or how we are both going to get away from the Dark Lord - his father, I know that with Matty I'll be okay.

I've known Mattheo since I was pretty young. His mother Bellatrix is manic and used to disappear for days on end. Usually Matty would end up at my house after being passed on from Draco. The Malfoy's were the closest to the Dark Lord so they always took him in when he needed shelter.

From what I have gaged from Draco, his father is pretty nasty to be around. I don't blame Mattheo for wanting to stay with us at the Rose Manor.

The cobblestones under my feet slowly turned into gravel, the edge of town approaching. I had no doubt that once the word of us running off got out people would be able to spot us in town. We have to escape to the woods.

Mattheo knew almost like he read my mind, guiding us through the thick brush of the wilderness.

The moon was bright above us, illuminating the brush as we stepped over tangles weeds and shrubs, I could feel them tug on my dress.

I felt ridiculous.

We left in such a hurry, knowing they'd check Hogwarts, that we didn't have time to change. I was being dragged rapidly through the woods, in a ballgown, Mattheo still in his suit.

I only brought my enchanted bag, the size of it was laughable for a stowaway and yet, it weighed about as much as the slow realisation that I was in the run from my family.

My family had done this.

Mattheo stopped us at a small clearing near a small river, no more than a metre deep.

"We can stay here, let me" He was so gentle and he spoke soft. Like if he was too loud, to quick I'd go bolting into the brush again.

He was probably right.

He tugged the bag off of my wrist and pulled the drawstring open. Piece by piece he pulled the tent out of the bag, the canvas tarps and metal polls clattered to the ground and he had a satisfied smile on his face at the loud sound.

"I'll help" I squeaked out, grabbing for the polls.

"You don't" He started, reaching for my hand, but I snatched it back.

"I'm helping" I stated, my voice firm.

"Yes ma'am" he smirked.

We worked together somewhat well, the usual sarcastic attitude of mine was subdued.

That was until Mattheo almost smacked me int he face with the tent poll, it was holding tension, pegged into the ground at one end and he lost his grip. It shot over the top of the tent faster than either of us could move and it missed me by an inch.

We both stared at each other, our eyes rounded and I huffed a laugh.

"I'm so sorry" He moved towards me but I put my hands over my face to stop the laughter from falling out as loudly as it usually does.

"Cerci, I'm sorry" I could hear his footsteps getting closer. I couldn't stop laughing, it was turning into a kind of eerie cackle.

"You're laughing" He said finally, his arms on my shoulders. "Oh thank god" He chuckled, it looked like the look on my face and my maniacal laughter was funnier to him then what had actually happened.

My side hurt from laughing so hard and I shoved at Matty as I shook my head, "How many people are going to try to hurt me today" I half yelled at him and he smiled at the sarcasm in my tone.

"Let's finish this tent, ward and then make a tally" he suggested, moving back to the same poll he tried to remove my head with.

I nodded and finally, the tent was done.

I moved inside the tent, knowing that using my magic would be dangerous, the ministry would find us.

The outside of the tent was small, like a muggles two man tent, but inside, there was a kitchenette, a bathroom and a double bed.

Sharing a bed with Matty is nothing new, we have helped each other sleep multiple times.

I sat on the edge of the bed, my dress train was tattered and full of leaves. I'm sure my makeup and my hair was just as ragged and ruined.

The tent flap opened and Matty stepped in, aside from the mud on the ankle of his pants and the rip on the left thigh of his trousers, he was still as handsome as ever. His combed curls were wild again, falling softly over his forehead.

I smiled up from my spot on the bed and he smiled back at me, warm and safe.

He pointed to his right and soft, classical music played faintly in the background. He moved towards me, one hand behind his back and that dazzling smile on his face and asked, "can I have this dance?"

I chuckled quietly, this boy...

"Matty, I'm filthy, this dress is ruined." I pulled at the once soft and shiny fabric.

He scoffed, "That dress was ruined when Malfoy made you wear it, but you..." He pulled me to my feet.

I thankfully swapped my heels for my slip on Mary Janes before we left for the woods.

"You, covered in mud, completely tattered," as he spoke he moved closer, resting his forehead against mine, "you are never ruined, Princess" He spoke so softly, almost kissing me.

My breath caught in my throat at the pretty words. This boy would make my heart stop.