32

I wiped my brow, sweat had accumulated in my hair line and was beginning to get in my eyes.

I was dodging every curse my mother threw at me but I couldn't bring myself to cast an unforgivable.

Even after all the shit I had found out and put up in my life when it came to my mother, I couldn't being myself to torture her with the Cruciatus curse.

My mother was focused on disarming me physically and mentally but I don't think she had expected the amount of fight that I had in me.

Every time I cast a spell or curse that missed its mark or wasn't critical when it did I heard her own words. "The Rose name has never felt such disappointment."

She had made me to be the monster I am.

After the initial shock of being hunted by my own mother had warn off officially and Mattheo was busy with Draco, I had pushed all my emotions into the back of my mind.

"Cruxio."

The word came from behind me and I flinched for just long enough that my mother finally hit me.

"Imperious."

She took the only opportunity she could to trap me mentally. She smiled in satisfaction and approached me.

I was forced to watch her through my eyes but I had no way of stopping or choosing what I wanted to do or say.

"I have always told you, girl," She tutted as she grabbed my arm, "emotional attachments are a weakness" Her voice was so rough and unlike her.

Her chest was heaving, I really had given her a run for her money.

Good.

I turned my head slightly to the side and caught Mattheo's crumpled form, he was folded on his knees and shouting in pain.

Draco was above him, a steady green steam of magic pouring into Matty's body. Draco's body was locked ridged and his smile was sick, twisted in triumph.

I felt the rage building inside me. The view of Mattheo on his knees reminded me of that day in the courtyard, where he had almost killed himself to tell me about the trial, about Draco.

I felt it burn hotter as I saw the memory of Mattheo on his knees, keeled over in his dorm bathroom in 6th year.

He'd just come back to Hogwarts after the Christmas break and was shouting and crying and clawing at his arm.

His own father had held him down and branded him with the Dark Mark. Mattheo had always known his fate but the searing pain in his forearm had increased as his own father watched and tracked his every move.

The rage bubbled over as I watched Draco knock Mattheo, my Matty, over with his dirty shoe, never letting the stream of vibrant green faulter.

My eyes never left Mattheo's contorting form and it felt like my skin was trying to melt off my skin, my skeleton bursting out of my body.

A strangled yell fell from my lips and the wave of pulsing energy shot out of my body. My mothers arm left my neck and her body launched into a tree knocking her unconscious.

The wave rippled through the small clearing quickly and Draco was knocked onto his back with a grunt.

I watched as Mattheo inhaled a full breath and only then was I free from the Imperious Curse.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw both senior Malfoy's stagger backwards into the trees.

I didn't need long and I certainly didn't have to think long or hard about my options.

I raised my wand, just like my mother had to me and the rage carved itself on my face as I shouted, "Avada Kedavra."

The woods went completely silent and it felt like even the breeze stopped and waited as the green stream flooded from my wand and snaked for Draco's wide eyes.

I watched the light hit something and splutter out almost entirely. I was breathless and barely had time to process there was now someone standing in front of me.

"Cerci" Mattheo reached for me, still on his knees. His face held remorse, like he was almost upset I had stooped that low.

I looked at him for a second but the look in his eyes struck my heart and Draco was still breathing and moving behind the figure that had blocked the killing curse. My killing curse. I had missed.

Draco's face was whiter that normal and he was crawling backwards on the leaf covered floor, in the dirt, like a pig.

"Well, well, well, my dear" A weirdly proper voice spoke.

The clocked figure in front of me was barefoot and had both arms folded of his chest, hood over his head.

"You are a passionate one aren't you" His hand reached for my cheek, his bony, grey hand stopped short.

"Don't touch her" Mattheo gritted out.

With a single flick of the cloaked mans hand Mattheo was lifted in the air and he was gasping for air, clawing at his throat.

I watched him, desperate for oxygen, his eyes watering. His lips turned purple before I finally registered the abrupt movement in my brain.

"Put him down, I'm done running" I say with a steady voice even though my body was wracked with exhaustion.

"Yes, you are" The hooded figure simply nodded and Mattheo clattered to the ground, gasping. His wand rolled out of his hand and rolled to my feet.

"I will say I didn't expect this much resistance from a little thing like yourself." He chucked and the sound sent shivers down my spine.

Draco was now standing just behind the figure, his wand extended and his face covered in dirt.

"I enjoyed the use of magic on the young Malfoy," He continued, slowly sliding his hood down his eyes watched me with their vertical slits. So snakelike.

"Perhaps, I was too eager in selling you off like cattle" The Dark Lord stood in front of me.

His face was eerie and the air around him seemed to buzz and ripple off him like waves of the ocean, and despite his overall scary demeanour.

He was a man once and that was all I could see.