37

So far, the Spice War on the high seas has been going on for half a year, affecting countless countries and regional ports. He cut off the three main trade routes of the Moluccas, and at the same time he suffered dozens of assassinations and assassinations, large and small. Jane Scott once sent an envoy to come for peace talks. When Bardas flatly refused, he also had a wound on his back that has not healed yet. Of course, all these information were truthfully submitted to Manuel I. on the gold case, so that the king would know that the contradiction would not ease, but would only become more acute.

During this period, Manuel's own attitude remained ambiguous. The king sometimes said that the general's actions were understandable, and sometimes said that the general's actions were too radical and that he had to send an urgent letter to scold Bardas for what he did.

In view of his wavering stance, the Portuguese court was also divided into three factions. The opposition force was huge and the voices were scattered. They came from the voices of some large nobles, small and medium nobles and the merchant class. Their interests were at stake in this war. It was severely damaged; there were only a few supporters, but they were all Bardas' allies, relatives, and other large nobles who smelled the smell of gold in the smoke. Therefore, their stance was firm and their voices were unanimous and clear. ; There is also a faction that changes with the king's tendency. Their faces are vague and their tone is unclear. This faction can be regarded as a centrist. They will defect at any time and show their determination to support at any time.

Gerald knows very well how power works and how the game of checks and balances plays. Since so far, no faction's voice has completely covered the court and become the king's will, then he can continue his own under this delicate balance. plan without fear of resistance from funding countries.

There was only one thing that he and Jane Scott tacitly abided by: Gerald would not take the initiative to reveal his past identity, and neither would Jane.

For him, letting the world know that he is the former Gerald Scott is undoubtedly putting himself on the fire. The shame will kill him completely, and more people will come to seek revenge. Drowned alive; for Jane Scott, the name "Gerald" still has a self-evident and powerful appeal. How many people will continue to follow her brother and fanatically follow him back to the Spice Islands? , becoming the master of Molucca was something she did not want to imagine.

Therefore, not long after the third path was cut off, Gerald made an excuse to rest, saying that his body could no longer support him. He lay in bed for a week. Bardas could not restrain his impatience and came to meet him. He deliberated.

He knew that his plan could take the next step.

"I have deep sympathy for your physical condition," Bardas said with a frown, "but the Spice Islands are of great importance. There are countless kings and hyenas waiting for a piece of the pie. Are you really able to withdraw now?" Do you want to ignore us and let them seize the fruits of our labor?"

"Then what do you want?" Gerald showed a bitter smile, "Look at me, General, I have slept less and eaten less in the past six months. , Hallucinations and fatigue torture me all the time... How heavy the revengeful heart is, it has already crushed me! I have to take a rest, I have to rest." "

One more step!" Bardas said sharply, "Get up and take a step forward. The conditions in our contract are not what you said. How can we relax at such a critical moment? This is a taboo on the march and a capital crime on the battlefield!" Gerald sighed

. Closing his dry eyelids, he said tiredly: "It sounds like you already have your own arrangements."

"Yes, I do." Bardas said in a deep voice, "Now, I will show you the instructions."