62

DCBS: Chapter 62

At night, the school building was brightly lit. Noisy sounds were coming from everywhere.

In the classroom of the third class of the third year of high school, parents walked in one after another. They found their children’s seats according to the names of the booklets placed on the desk and sat down.

It wasn’t yet time for the official start. The homeroom teacher Zhou Fang was in the office to do a final sorting of the materials to be used. Since the teacher wasn’t coming, some parents familiar with each other started chatting casually. Other parents sat by themselves while looking at their phones.

“Xiao Hai has advanced a few places in the year this time. It is really worthy of being a study committee member. If only my child had this brain.”

“He has been working so hard recently that he doesn’t even play on his phone. He said that he is doing average in a few subjects and the first place in the class this time is very powerful. Every subject is close to a full score. Xiao Hai admires him very much.”

“Oh, I heard that too. He is the class monitor and the first in the year. He seems to be a transfer student, right? He only came this semester. I don’t know if the parents of this student have come. I really want to ask for advice.”

“Not yet. I heard Xiao Hai say that he sits in the last row and that seat is still empty. You can’t even imagine. Every week, he comes back and talks to me, telling me that this student is always helping him solve wrong questions and taking special care of him. He is so excited. I remember that when this student first transferred, he still hated this person and complained that he wasn’t as good as the previous class monitor. The child has grown up quickly!”

“Hahaha, the one in my family is the same. A while ago, he was very reluctant to mention what happened in school to me. He would put on a straight face whenever I asked him about it. Then ever since the first in the year came out, he has to report to me one by one even if the second in the year wanders around outside the class…”

Lin Zihai’s mother and another classmate’s mother were chatting happily. A middle-aged male parent next to them heard their conversation and couldn’t help interjecting. “Are you talking about Student Pei?”

“Yes.”

“His parents shouldn’t be here today so you probably won’t hear about their experience.”

“Eh, why?”

“Haven’t you heard? I think this matter has already spread. He and the original class monitor of the third class who transferred away are two children who were switched…”

The father’s face turned red and spit flew as he talked about gossip excitedly.

The two mothers were stunned when they heard this. They looked at each other and couldn’t help saying, “These two children are pitiful.”

“It is very unlucky to come back here after being in a rich family. Who told him to try and rise up? His adoptive mother definitely won’t come and I guess his own mother won’t come. How embarrassing. Last time, she came to the parent-teacher meeting for another son. I think this seat will probably be empty all night—”

He said it was unlucky but his tone was full of glee. No regret could be seen at all.

It was just that as he spoke, he suddenly noticed that the expressions of the two mothers in front of him changed. They looked over the top of his head with thinning hair and stared straight out the window.

It wasn’t just them. The entire classroom suddenly fell silent, as if an invisible hand had pressed the pause button.

An inexplicable chill rose from behind the middle-aged man. He froze and involuntarily looked back.