Chapter 33

“I have alot though but, who is that?” Chiamaka pointed at a man in a picture placed on the wall.

“That is my husband! He died two years ago!” Patricia answered and Chiamaka eyes widened.

“You had children?” Chiamaka asked.

“No! We do not have any!” Patricia replied, honestly.

Chiamaka dropped down her empty glass, “So how did you see me?” She asked and avoided eyes contact.

“I was in that bus too! I dropped after you did, because of your mood! You were sobbing and when I noticed your move towards the edge of the bridge, I dropped I ran as fast as I could to stop you on time. And thank God I did. What were you thinking?” Patricia frowned at Chiamaka.

“You won't understand! I got the most shocking confession by a man I fell in love with!” Chiamaka said.

“Married?” Patricia asked.

“It would have been better! He was part of the gang that raped me years ago.” Chiamaka mentioned and Patricia eyes widened.

“Like how? I do not get! What do you mean by he was the one that raped you months ago? How did you find him?” Patricia asked.

“I did not! He tracked and made me fall in love with him.” Chiamaka replied drily, as her eyes became teary.

“But why and where is he now?” Patricia who was lost in confusion, asked.

“He said he wanted to apologize but right now he is at the hospital. He attempted suicide!” Chiamaka replied.

“And you wanted to follow suit?” Patricia asked and Chiamaka looked away, “So what about your son?”

Chiamaka turned immediately to fact Patricia. Her stunned look got Patricia to smile a little.

“How did you know?” Chiamaka asked.

“Susan told me about it!” Patricia answered honestly and Chiamaka eyes widened even more.

“How? I do not get it!” Chiamaka furrowed her brows, “How come Susan opened up to you?”

“ There is alot you do not know! I am actually Susan's elder sister! Yes, i am! Our father left us when we were just six years old. Then our mother became a harlot so she could train us. We got tired of our mother's life style and accepted suitors that came for our hands in marriage.” Patricia paused to notice Chiamaka's reaction and her full attention was in the confession, “Susan was the first to get married, she...”

Chiamaka interrupted, “The man you quarreled with at the hospital, is he Susan's husband?”

Patricia brought out her phone and after some minutes, she handed her phone over to Chiamaka. It was a picture of Susan and her husband.

“Yes, that was the man I saw you with! How come Susan became a prostitute? They look rich here na!” Chiamaka became curious to know.

“Yes, her husband has money. She was happy in her marriage not until after three years, no child yet. They started going from one prayer house to another. They went to hospitals and yet, there was nothing. Her husband's mother became furious and began to pressurize Susan. And due to the crisis, we lost our mother to partial stroke. Her mother in-law's pressures got Susan's husband to turn against her. My sister really suffered!” Patricia said and stood you, “You must be starving, let me get you something to eat!”

“Yes I am! Thank you!” Chiamaka said and continued to check more photos stored in Patricia's smart phone. She got so carried away and forgot her own problem.

“Did you join illegal activities to earn money?” Chiamaka asked the photo of Susan like it would give her a reply.

“Not really!” Patricia said as she entered with a tray. A plate of jellof rice and fried meat.

“Thank you!” Chiamaka thanked but suddenly lost interest in the food and focused on Patricia.

“Susan was punished and given concoctions to drink but still no child. She was then tagged as a witch and the husband turned her body to his punch bag. Even without having a mother around her, Susan kept enduring things until one day, a new wife was brought in. Then the house became hell!” Patricia noticed Chiamaka had not touched her food yet, “If I was to poison you, you would have died after drinking my water and if I wanted you dead, I would have let you commit suicide.” Patricia said and Chiamaka smiled.

“I am a walking corpse and I lost apitte but will eat!” Chiamaka responded and Patricia nodded.

“Well, back to Susan's story! Susan was humiliated so bad and when the woman became pregnant, Susan became their slave. I even begged her to live with me but she claimed she loves her husband and would tolerate everything. And, the beating continued! Nine months later, the second wife gave birth to a boy and Susan was embarrassed by her mother in-law in public, the day of the baby's child dedication. Not up to a month, Susan's thing were thrown out of the house by the second wife and mother in-law when her husband traveled. Susan lived with me for three years and when I got married, she had to leave. I helped her get an apartment and she lived there alone. She hawkwed things and soon I heard she went back but the gateman did not let her in. Susan then became a prostitute and started sleeping around. When I heard it, I tried to talk to her but her mind was made up.” Patricia said with a sign.

“And she also did selling of babies?” Chiamaka asked and Patricia nodded, “Okay!”

chiamaka began to eat, “You will get over everything! And I will support you to get back your son. You can also live her with me, it's all lonely here without my husband!” Patricia said and looked away.

“If you were married, then how come you lived with Chiamaka when I was brought in?” Chiamaka asked and Patricia sat up.

“Like Chiamaka, I was chashed out of my house! Not because I could not give birth but I was wrongly judged.” Patricia responded with a smile.

“And what killed your husband?” Chiamaka asked as she got tired of forcing herself to eat.

“He got drowned at his work place. I miss him everyday!” Patricia said looking at his framed picture on the wall. 

“Sorry about that!” Chiamaka said.

Patricia stood up and carried the plate of rice Chiamaka remained.

“Why are you helping me?” Chiamaka asked and Patricia stopped at the kitchen entrance.

“Because it was one of Susan's dying wish!” Patricia replied and went out of sight.

Chiamaka felt she had asked too much and when she thought of how Patricia felt, her depression overshadowed and her tommy began to hurt like she had taken poison. So she tried to relax herself on the chair, as tears rolled down her cheeks. Alot flooded her head, she felt uncomfortable and stressed.

AUTHORESS NOTE:
A new chapter of their lives. This is only the beginning.

Vote, comment and read through. Thanks. 💜