Chapter 24

“My dear friend Mark, have found the location of your son! He also said he took a picture of all the young males in the neighborhood. It is now left for you to pick a day, so we can go check the place out, ourselves and track the boy. He said it is a rich people environment, so I have this strong feeling that he is very much healthy. And now, what is your say?” Davis asked and Chiamaka freezed, not expecting the news.

Tears began to form in her eyes, she could sense it too now. He boy is alive! Is she suppose to be happy or sad? What is the reaction suitable for such a news? Her mood totally changed!

*               *               *

Nora walked up to the window like man who wish check his compound incase of unexpected movements, then she shifted the curtains and watched a red highlander drove in. She was curious to see who drove it into the compound. The gateman must have known the person, to have allowed him or her pass through.

“Who be that?” Chidinma asked while staring at Nora; as she peeped through the window.

“I think it is Chiamaka. The way that girl changes cars eh, you will think she deals on cars. E dey choke! But still, I am not sure yet since the owner have not stepped out of the car. Or maybe it could be Patricia.” Nora replied and brought out her tongue to express her last statement.

A few minutes later, after Nora backed the window, a knock was heard at the door and Nora went to open since she was already standing and was closest to the door.

“Hello Ladies! How are you doing today?” Chiamaka greeted as soon as Nora opened the door for her to step in.

Chiamaka and Nora embraced first, then others seated, stood up to embrace Chiamaka as well. The ladies include Rose, who visited with her baby. Rose looked a bit different; chubby and glowing. Being a mother looked good on her.

“I know we met yesterday at the hospital but I still do not understand. I wanted to ask and since everyone was in a bad mood because of the death of Susan. Now I will ask and please be honest. Where have you been?” Rose asked, as she sat back next her baby, on the sofa, still got her stare at Chiamaka.

Chiamaka roughly sat down close to Rose and the baby. It was a long sit, so it could contain them.

“I have been around but not near enough to be seen. I wanted some time to myself. Things were becoming a little messy and did not want to disturb anyone, not even Susan... I seriously miss this place and it memories.” Chiamaka replied, looking around to see if anything had changed ever since she left. Nothing had changed, except for the fact that Susan was not with them anymore.

“So how that your new side dey? You get joint for that place shey? I trust you nah! You don give those girls for that side bad market. Even for our spots, no body dey see you again. Some of your clients don complain tire. You don dey faji for another place. Even those Other girls way call themselves Seduction babes, don dey happy say you no dey show again!” Chidinma said, while exhaling the smoke of cigarette from her opened mouth and nostril. She could form up different shapes with the smoke.

“Ohhhh, Chidinma stop smoking this around the baby na, at least take it outside or you go to your room. You don't know it is not good or you want my baby to get influenced? I want to teach her good things allow. Do you know that since I got pregnant until now, I attain from alcohol or cigarettes? I only took kai jai my sister in-law brought. They said it makes the breast milk to rush well.” Rose complained and also explained, and others supported.

“Off the cigarettes or go outside ni!” Chiamaka added as Chidinma was hasting but she obeyed. She offed the cigarette and took it to the kitchen.

“So base on Chidinma questions, what is really happening?” Nora asked while peeling an orange.